We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: PIRATE RADIO ACTIVITY IN SYRIA  (Read 2250 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
PIRATE RADIO ACTIVITY IN SYRIA
« on: March 07, 2014, 2137 UTC »

When it comes to pirate radio, I'm rather ambivalent towards the many European and US pirate stations that populate the shortwave bands. These operators are largely hobby enthusiasts who enjoy making their own entertainment programs, tinkering with the technical aspects of low-powered transmitters and antennas, and embracing the thrill of doing something illegal in the hope they don't get caught in the act. So, if that's what they want to do, I'm OK with that. But it doesn't interest me much.

Mind you, the above comment is coming from one of the early CB radio operators who was happily transmitting away before the 27 mHz band became legalised in Australia in the mid 1970's!! For a short time I enjoyed those days. However, it quickly led me to become an amateur radio operator, where I could discuss technical "ham stuff" with other people who shared similar interests (and get away from all the "crazies" who later took over the CB band after we deserted it).

And for many years, what I found most interesting were the pirate (or more correctly clandestine) radio stations that served a political purpose, delivered a political message, and provided support for their cause in the form of information, encouragement and morale.

At one time, in the Australian DX News (magazine of the Australian Radio DX Club), I was the editor of a little column called "Clandestine Corner" (or a similar name....it was so long ago I can't accurately remember the title!!). I would write interesting tidbits and reception notes on Radio Euzkadi, the Democratic Voice of Burma, Radio España Independiente, Rádio Portugal Livre, Radio Liberation and many others. I have always been fascinated by both the station operations and the political motivations behind the broadcasts.

So, while aimlessly surfing the Internet the other day, I stumbled across an article in the online New York Times, dated February 10, 2014. Entitled "Pirate Radio Gives Voice to Syrian Opposition" by Ben Hubbard, it discusses Radio Watan and other stations that have sprung up in revolt against the oppressive Syrian regime of Bashar al-Assad.

Although they choose the FM band for their transmissions rather than shortwave, the drive behind these operations is the same as it was in those days of the 1970's and 80's when I was running the "Clandestine Corner" column. This well-written article highlights the importance (in the minds of the young activists who operate these stations) of communicating a different message from that of the ruling party, and underscores the need for programming that is both informative AND entertaining.

If you haven't seen the article yet, here is the link below - I think you'll find it interesting!

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/11/world/middleeast/pirate-radio-gives-voice-to-opposition-fighting-assad.html

73's and have a great weekend everyone!

Rob VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com

;D

Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
Re: PIRATE RADIO ACTIVITY IN SYRIA
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2014, 2146 UTC »
I've just realised that HF Underground has pirate forums as well as this clandestine forum. The article relates to pirate/clandestine activity, hence I "parked" the above post here. Perhaps because the NY Times article relates to FM activities in Syria and not SW/HF, maybe I should not have posted at all. I just thought the article was interesting.

Apologies if I have put the post in the wrong forum or done the wrong thing here! :-)

Rob
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU