We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Who is under WWV 15000?  (Read 3966 times)

rdla4

Who is under WWV 15000?
« on: April 09, 2014, 2043 UTC »
I am hearing someone with time signals under WWV-15mHz.

The signal has a series of beeps, each one is slightly higher in freq than the last one. (They are one second apart, but not exactly in sync with WWV. Then there is what sounds like an old fashioned pager beep. Near the top of the minute a burst of data. Then the whole thing repeats. Appears to be USB only.

Who is this?

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Re: Who is under WWV 15000?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2014, 0117 UTC »
I really don't have a clue on this one, but I wish I had!  If you get any leads on it, keep us posted?  I'm darn curious now! 

From your description, I'm confident you can rule out Observatorio Nacional Brasileira, as you would've had ten-second interval voice IDs and pips.  Italcable has a data burst at each minute, but they also play music, and would have had time announcements in Italian anyway.  As for the USB thing... I really don't have a clue, but I wish I knew! 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Glen UK

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2014, 0659 UTC »
Hi,
I regularly come across an Italian time signal station on 15000. On each five-second cycle, there are four beeps that rise in pitch, followed by a double beep. There is a time announcement every minute - eg ora tre e quarante cinque. On the hour, :15, :30 and :45 there is an ID announcement and a website address in morse: www.associazioneitalcable.it After a brief musical interlude, lasting approx twelve seconds, and a sound resembling a fax machine message, the beeps resume.
Regards,
Glen

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2014, 1339 UTC »
I'm not sure why you wouldn't hear the music if this is Italcable as Chanter said, but the other details match. They also do SSTV every few minutes.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2014, 1838 UTC »
I'm not sure what you are hearing but you might want to check out the following web site for help:

http://www.dxinfocentre.com/time.htm

Maybe they have your catch listed :-)

73 Vince KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2014, 1925 UTC »
In looking for info about who the unid time station could be I see a couple I have never heard. LOL from Argentina seems to still be active 1 hour a day, Mon - Fri on 10 MHz (14:00-15:00 UTC). I don't think I ever logged that one. Really, what is the point of 5 hours a week? Also I see a Spanish time station EBC which I think is no longer even on air. They were only on from 1000-1025 , 1030-1055Z Mon-Fri on 15.006 MHz. Even less than LOL.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

rdla4

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2014, 2327 UTC »
I was going to grab a recording of it tonight----but it appears to be a no show right now. Although I do hear the faint data signal near the top of each minute. The rising time beeps is what I hear, and yes, It does sound like a fax machine too---or a pager beep....so maybe the Italian, but I did not hear any music.

Of course its easier to hear in the second half of the hour when WWV goes quite for WWVH to do their stuff

If I hear it again, I will roll Audacity and post some where.

There are quite a few signal buried under 15 and 10 Mhz in particular.

Thanks everyone for the pointers.

Offline Glen UK

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2014, 0555 UTC »
There are a few clips of Italcable (15000) on youtube, but the one I've been listening to recently is different to these. The pitch of the beeps remains constant on these, and the music is very prominent. It is definitely an ascending pitch that I've been listening too (I am listening to a recording of it right now on my phone) but the brief musical interlude is very quiet and muffled - even when the signal is coming in strong, so you will probably not hear it on a weak signal. Though the actual voice of the announcer sounds different to the youtube clips, the content is exactly the same.

rdla4

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2014, 2258 UTC »
I am hearing it again tonight, Friday 11 April. 2245 UTC.

Beep   Beep   Beep (Rising tone each time)  BeeBeep. (Each five seconds, repeat)  Every now and then there is a more pronounced BEEPBEEPBEEP.

I cannot hear any voice or music due to the incessant ticking of the WWV clock. From your description, Glen UK, this must be the Italian TS station...Thank You!  (Cant say for sure, but it sounds like what you describe)

I can hear WWVH in here as well.

Offline ulx2

• Kyiv, Ukraine
    • View Profile
    • My DX blog
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2014, 0037 UTC »
Hello. It is signal of Associazone Amici di Italcable. They have changed format of transmission recently.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 0040 UTC by ulx2 »
LOC: Kyiv, Ukraine
RX1: Degen DE-1103 portable
RX2: Xhdata D-808 portable
RX3: Airspy Mini SDR + Spyverter
ANT1: 80 mb dipole
ANT2: Long wire (10 meters)
ANT3: Homemade M0AYF active loop
ACC: Homemade passive preselector & phasing device

https://udxb.blogspot.com/

rdla4

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 0048 UTC »
Thank You.....its audibll under WWV most afternoons here.

Offline FFZ

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2014, 0322 UTC »
Possibly RWM, the time station in Moscow.  It sends its ID in morse a couple times an hour.  Picked it up under WWV (10MHz) and WWVH (15MHz) this evening.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 0634 UTC by FFZ »

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2014, 2009 UTC »
Why are the dates on the post off?
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com