We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Any new shortwave stations?  (Read 4802 times)

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Any new shortwave stations?
« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2014, 1607 UTC »
I knew about the prohibition against broadcasting to domestic audiences; I thought I'd read in a SW magazine in the 1980's that they also couldn't run actual commercials, but I probably read it wrong.

An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2014, 1919 UTC »
I've never heard that before.  Ever since I started listening to shortwave 24 years ago shortwave stations like WWCR have run commercials.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2014, 0011 UTC »
WWCR used to run bookoo spots in the 90s.  Tom Valentine's Radio Free America would run numerous ads for The Spotlight newspaper and for his own Carotec supplements company.  Numerous agency spots used to run on WRNO back in the 90s for Purex, Fruit & Fiber cereal, et al.  If there is a prohibition on SW advertising it has only recently come about.  I haven't heard of one.
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Nella F.

« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2014, 2321 UTC »
WWCR used to run bookoo spots in the 90s.  Tom Valentine's Radio Free America would run numerous ads for The Spotlight newspaper and for his own Carotec supplements company.  Numerous agency spots used to run on WRNO back in the 90s for Purex, Fruit & Fiber cereal, et al.  If there is a prohibition on SW advertising it has only recently come about.  I haven't heard of one.

The local library used to subscribe to Spotlight... though maybe it was a "gift subscription". Anyone remember Valentine's interviews? One of some guy named Craig or Greg Hullit or something like that? Some sort of conspiracy peddler. Right up V.'s alley.       8)
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 2329 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 1619 UTC »
Come to think of it, they did have some spots on some of the stations. 

But there was a period of time (1991-2002) I did very little listening to Shortwave (aside from Radio Turkey), so my memory of SW broadcasters during that period is pretty limited.  ;D
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).