We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: TV Antenna?  (Read 2358 times)

Fansome

TV Antenna?
« on: June 17, 2014, 0731 UTC »
I don't get cable, and I live in a marginal zone for TV broadcast reception. I have a fairly cheap antenna that is just not doing the job reliably. Can anyone recommend a good antenna for this? I imagine that, since the frequency has not changed, that the old reliable log-periodic TV antenna might work, but a recommendation would be good. Thanks.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: TV Antenna?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 1203 UTC »
As the old saying goes, "There's not substitute for metal in the sky."  If all your stations are from the same direction, a UHF corner reflector usually will work well.  I have seen a resurgence of bowtie panel reflector antennas as of late too.  If your within 30-40 miles of the transmitters, go with the panel antenna.  if your farther out, use the corner reflector.

Also, avoid active antennas.  The preamps they put in those things are very poor and noisy.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 2152 UTC »
I plan on putting up an old 4 element bowtie panel antenna in place of our satellite dish, and then using the cable from that to feed into the house.  I was planning on using that antenna to monitor milair comms from the bomb range about 100 miles away, but some sacrifices need to be made to keep the wife happy.  I can still pick up the aircraft over the bomb range on my military surplus discone anyway.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 2307 UTC »
I use a homemade folded dipole set in an upstairs window with a 4:1 balun. It works well, but I live on a hill.  The antenna is in a window facing the direction of the sticks of the the local network affiliates, with a nice clear view.

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2014, 2118 UTC »
Unbeknownst to me, the GF went out on her own and bought a new antenna. Why she would take such a terrible risk like that, buying technology without consulting the man of the house, baffles me, but I didn't find out about it until it was done.

This appears to be a variation of the bow-tie and reflector design. It has made a great difference in reception; it claims to have 50 mile range, and I think most of the transmitters are around 40 miles away. None of the stations are iffy any more. Thanks for the advice.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2014, 2229 UTC »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns