We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: scanning strategies?  (Read 1281 times)

Offline charlie

• View Profile
scanning strategies?
« on: November 13, 2009, 0055 UTC »
I see lots of folks here reporting interesting things from parts of the HF spectrum I'd never think to listen to.  How do you do it?  Do you just let the radio scan while you're doing something else? Do you have some cool SDR that lets you see 30MHz at a time? Do y'all have radios with thousands of memory banks? How do you convince the wife that static is fun to listen to?

Just for comparison: I listen with a ham HF rig (Yaesu FT-840) hooked up to a ladder-line fed 80m dipole thru a tuner. The radio scans slowly, only has 100 memories, and the antenna needs re-tuning every 2 MHz or so. Should I think about a more broadband antenna and a radio better suited for faster scanning?

Charlie 

Fansome

Re: scanning strategies?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2009, 0524 UTC »
I don't have the money for this myself, but some of these people have many, many radios scanning the airwaves all at the same time. I don't know how they sort out all of the noise, but they do. Perhaps some of them would be willing to comment.

cmradio

Re: scanning strategies?
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 0932 UTC »
Seriously, 99% of the neat stuff I find, is when spinning the dial on my way to somewhere else.

Peace!