We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DRM Australia 081514 1136utc 1271.2kHz WUSB Very Tough ID Capture  (Read 1005 times)

Offline Enigma Explorer

• View Profile
    • Email
DRM Australia 081514 1136utc 1271.2kHz WUSB captured this Friday morning. Note that my habit is to tune in a DRM signal to get the lowest possible  Sample Frequency Offset , kinda a DRM signal zero beat in the wide upper sideband mode WUSB. That setting then becomes the DRM frequency readout in the band on the display for the SDR-IQ.

If others have a better method, am very interested in the feedback.

It was a very very tough capturing this DRM Station ID because it was so weak here. Right near my noise level at S5. After several minutes, and adjusting the band pass filter to very tight parameters, finally got the station ID to display. No audio. For a few seconds had a S7 with a single burst of audio. with a 23.54 UEP kbps, I was surprised to get even that.

SDR-IQ band pass filter was set to:
Low Cutoff Frequency:  4000kHz
High Cutoff Frequency:  12600kHz
Over all bandwidth of: 8600kHz

Frankly, I didnt think a DRM station could be partially copied with this narrow a filter. There were signals on the edges of this DRM. Toughest DRM station signal conditions ever for this location to be copied.

Rare signal circumstances for a DRM capture for this South Bend, Indiana receiving station to be sure!

All receptions for this log station description:
SDR-IQ using SpectraVue software and recording 190 kHz rf spectrum to
hard drive for repeated play back and configuration changes as needed to
improve copy intelligibility. Antenna is a Carolina Windom 265 feet long
running North to South with long run on the North end. Location is South
Bend, Indiana one mile South of the Michigan border out in the country.
Amateur radio callsign of WD8ARZ and name is Bill.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

Offline Enigma Explorer

• View Profile
    • Email
Appreciate those that have responded to my postings about DRM station captures from my station here in South Bend, Indiana. Some in the groups where the postings are made, and some that take the time to email me privately. Thanks!

For those that want higher resolutions of the images I have been attaching to my postings, join up with the yahoo reflector where these same postings have full resolution images attached to them.
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/drmna

That way you can get all the detail that is in those images that will allow you to try the configurations / settings this station is using. Should be a big help to the those that are having issues with decoding DRM id's and especially the audio.

Hopefully others will share their experiences, programs and radios being used with us, and how they have theirs configured and what settings work for them.

73 from Bill - WD8ARZ

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns