We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Transatlantic MW season begins  (Read 3603 times)

Offline Jari Finland

• View Profile
    • Email
Transatlantic MW season begins
« on: September 18, 2014, 1106 UTC »
The overflow of protons by latest solar eruption has settled down and band has recovered. Some catches from last night:

590 VOCM St.John's
930 CJYQ St.John's, id still "Newfoundland Labrador"
1010 WINS NY
1030 WBZ Boston
1060 WQOM Natick
1130 Bloomberg NY
1200 Bloomberg Boston
1310 CIWW Ottawa
1370 sports station number 19826, Pittsburgh Pirates playing
1390 WEGP Presque Isle
1400 CBG Gander
1470 WLAM Lewiston
1480 WMDD PR
1510 WUFC Boston
1560 Disney NY
1600 WUNR Brookline
1610 Caribbean Beacon with everlasting Melissa Scott
1620 Rebelde
1650 CJRS Montreal
1660 WGIT PR

All the regulars, nothing really interesting, except 1060 WQOM. It hasn't been most usual before. They have done something new with their station. Signal was so loud. New pattern?

It is very probable that next night will offer all these same, and maybe more. As it works other way around too, there should be an opportunity to listen to Europeans in NA.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2014, 1108 UTC by Jari Finland »

Offline Jari Finland

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Transatlantic MW season begins
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2014, 1205 UTC »
Of course last night was poor. Around 21 UTC a flare effect arrived (again) and Kyoto DST dropped during night down to -37, directing MW signal path to somewhere near Venezuela and the few signals were fuzzy and weak.
Nothing to tell to grandchildren.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 1451 UTC »
Been encountering a mediocre MW season so far... with a few anomalies.

Being located in the NW US (and in hilly topography) I get Trans Pacifics only when conditions are terrific.

Having just a box crate loop antenna, I usually just get the strong Korean on 1566 about once a season. HLAZ. Sometimes even with legible audio.

What is DST? I see that chart on the page linked.  Can't make sense of it, though... what do the numbers mean?
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Jari Finland

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 1649 UTC »
I should have answered earlier, but there have been no reason to read this section. September was record-breaking awful month. Perhaps now, finally, we are heading towards better conditions.

DST means simply disturbance level index. September data shows maybe one or two days when DST was on zero level.

Last night for a loong time finally some kind of opening on MW. 1200 R Clube AM, Fortaleza and 1570 Radio Sertao Central, Senador Pompeu visited on my earphones. Both stations from state of Ceara in the northeastern corner of Brazil.