We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Shack has filed for bankruptcy  (Read 4631 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Radio Shack has filed for bankruptcy
« on: February 05, 2015, 2305 UTC »
RadioShack has officially filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy, signaling the darkest chapter yet for one of America's most storied specialty electronics chains. As part of the filing, RadioShack says it will sell off up to 2,400 of its US stores. Most other underperforming locations will close for good, but RadioShack's brand will live on through a store-in-a-store agreement with Sprint and Standard General, who will be purchasing many of the retailer's current shops. Here's what Sprint says consumers can expect from the new hybrid RadioShack / Sprint stores:

Under the terms of the new agreement, Sprint would effectively operate a store within a RadioShack store, occupying approximately one third of the retail space of each location. Sprint employees will sell mobile devices and plans on all Sprint brands including Boost and Virgin Mobile. The stores will be co-branded with Sprint being the primary brand on storefronts and in marketing materials.

Full article: http://www.theverge.com/2015/2/5/7983221/radioshack-files-chapter-11-bankruptcy
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Radio Shack has filed for bankruptcy
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 1736 UTC »
FRY'S Electronics is an alternative. However, a caveat, there are 117 Google reviews, many negative. (for that matter, there are numerous complaints from all over the web)

Here is Google link: https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=fry%27s+electronics

Here is direct link: http://www.frys.com/
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 0306 UTC by RCCI »
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline RCCI

• DX Legend
  • Chicagoland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 1753 UTC »
Here is the list of the Radio Shack stores which are closing:

http://qz.com/340292/here-are-all-the-stores-radioshack-is-closing/
+ Equipment: Yaesu FRG 100B, Kenwood R-1000, Yaesu FRG7,
+ Antenna: 75' dipole, height 21', running north and south.  Chicagoland area.
 *** QSLs welcomed at: gangwise1997@yahoo.com   Thanks!   ...Steve

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 2114 UTC »
Looks like the store nearest to me is on the chopping block.  No big loss because I haven't darkened the doorway of any RS store except for running in to get a tube of thermal compound a couple weeks ago.  That was the first time I'd been in one in years, or at least been in one to actually buy anything.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 1846 UTC »
I know. I think I'll stop by the local one and stock up on coax seal before they lock the doors.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 0117 UTC »
I've been loading up on BIG quantities of a few dearly loved RS items via their website.  That may go down next and I want LARGE quantities of their breakout board 276-159, jumpers for terminal strips, replacement tips for their soldering/desoldering irons, etc.  I've long hated to shop at my neighborhood cell phone kiosk, but in case corporate goes down completely I am laying in lifetime quantities of a few things that are very hard to get elsewhere.  How 'bout those light aluminum clamshell enclosures?  Is there something you're gonna miss?  If so, their website ships for free on orders over $25. 
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 1146 UTC »
Good point, ff. I really like some of their prototyping PCBs.

FWIW: Our local Radio Shack is one that is *not* scheduled to close, so I don't know that there's any deals there. I also understand that stores that are closing are shipping some of the higher ticket items to stores remaining open.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 1451 UTC »
FWIW: Our local Radio Shack is one that is *not* scheduled to close, so I don't know that there's any deals there. I also understand that stores that are closing are shipping some of the higher ticket items to stores remaining open.

That would make sense Chris.  One of the four local outlets in my area will remain open.  Some stores are owned by franchisees and of course they won't be closing - yet.  But if corporate itself is going down it won't much matter.  I hope that Fry's or someone else will take the opportunity to affiliate with the owner-ops so that they can stay open.  I see little hints on their website that kinda suggest they are trying to sell everything they can.  They might as well - before the inventories are liquidated to split amongst the bondholders.  For instance, that beloved breakout board that I mentioned in the earlier post is normally $2.49 for a 2 pack.  They have it priced to move at $1.99.  I bought 40!  They are super-useful and I've never found one quite like it anywhere else.  I figure that 40 of them (two per pack = 80) will last me until my eyesight reaches the point where I can no longer solder small parts into blobs of non-working circuits!  :)  I have been highly critical of Radio Shack over the last few years but I WILL miss some of their inventory, and it looks to me like now is the time to act.
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State