We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Beacon kit ...  (Read 26609 times)

Offline weaksigs

• Central Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Beacon kit ...
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2009, 1221 UTC »
WHAT!
That's WAY TOO Pretty to be a pirate!
Better get it new clothes so it can model them!  ;D
Lets get with it QRP!
LOL
 :D

weaksigs
Central Florida
136' random wire for general HF,
Winradio Excalibur G31 & Kenwood TS-590

Peace!

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2009, 1249 UTC »
Cute! I'm guessing 20m with that coil? Nice work.

The two transistor rig posted elsewhere is a nice one based on the "universal QRP transmitter" published by Wes Hayward.  Thousands built I'd guess. 
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Seamus

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 1408 UTC »
That looks a whole lot like the Michigan Mighty Mite circuit that I've been tinkering with recently...

Here with a chebyshev filter on the output, which I'm still not sure is actually doing anything for me.

That "Unversal QRP Transmitter" circuit has been giving me fits for some reason.  I think I may have an idea of what I'm doing wrong, but need a little bit of "quality time" with the soldering iron to try out an idea or two.  I managed to find a wiring error I had in one of my recent attempts, which converted the board from a board that transmits smoke to one that produces no output whatsoever, and have identified two possible problems that I need to experiment with. 

Good, clear photos of the componentry in a working "Universal QRP Transmitter" rig would be very helpful for me to see, if anyone has them, as well as details of the L1/L2 RF transformer.  A unit built for the 40-meter-ish band would be nice to see, but at this point I'll take anything I can get.

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 1849 UTC by QRP »

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 1505 UTC »
Ah, I see... that rig is from the Swedish beaconeer.... nice link to that page.

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 1516 UTC »
I'll post some pix of my (ugly) version of the Universal QRP rig. I built it Manhattan style, and while it's not very pretty, it does work to the tune of about 400mW at 12.5 v Vcc.

The interstage transformer had me scratching my head for a while too. It doesn't seem critical though. Wind the primary (each time you poke a wire though it's one turn...including the first time)....then wind the secondary the same way, poking the wire through the same direction when starting, as the first. One hint is to use fatter wire on the secondary (wound over the first by the way, spreading it out over the whole core) so that it's stronger leads can provide some mechanical strength to the assembly preventing it from flopping around.  Wire size not critical...just whatever is on hand and will fit in the core. Mine is built with 2n2219A since that's what I had on hand and they're a little more beefy than the 2n2222s in the parts stash.

I'm not an expert by any means, but this seems a tried and true design that works well. 
I used the schematic that was kindly posted by our moderator. :-)

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 1550 UTC »
As mentioned, it's ugly. It does on the other hand, work fine, so there's some beauty in that :-). I doubt there's any details one could extract from this photo, other than I'm a hack when it comes to breadboarding this way. :-) 

Manhattan style has the advantage of providing an excellent RF ground plane, though Im incapable of making things look nice with it.

555 keyer is in the background. I built it separately since I want to upgrade the keyer to the CMOS id circuit posted here. IC's just arrived yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 1553 UTC by syfr »

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 25, 2009, 2001 UTC »

Offline QRP

• View Profile