We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Al, you're a Cal-Tech genuis. Is Elon Musk a dope?  (Read 2400 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Al, you're a Cal-Tech genuis. Is Elon Musk a dope?
« on: June 30, 2015, 0409 UTC »
The way he regularly crashes rockets has me thinking he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Fansome

Re: Al, you're a Cal-Tech genuis. Is Elon Musk a dope?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2015, 0437 UTC »
Wow, and after all this time I had assumed that "Elon Musk" was some sort of men's aftershave...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2015, 0822 UTC »
Wow, and after all this time I had assumed that "Elon Musk" was some sort of men's aftershave...

I did too, until he started raining rockets down on the planet. He's no Hai-Karate man, that's for certain.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2015, 1435 UTC »
All kidding aside, I do have some insight on this. I've known a number of people like this guy, and this is how it goes.

A really smart guy has a great idea, and it pans out. He makes a lot of money, and starts to think of himself in grand terms.

After his initial success, he needs extra cash to realize his grandiose dreams, and he starts talking up like-minded venture capitalists, or corporate partners. The common thread is that the guy is a ticket to wealth and happiness, and investors don't want to miss the boat. They give him the money he needs, but don't exercise the control that's necessary to make sure that what he's doing is within reason.

Once over-extended, the next event is crash-and-burn, and everyone pays the price.

I recall sitting in a limo on the way to the CES in Vegas, with a number of salesmen from Activision. They were all very excited, but kept asking me if video games were going to go the way of CB radio, the last fad that had burned them. I had no answer, but the video game crash happened about a year later, and we were all out of jobs.

The way he regularly crashes rockets has me thinking he's not the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Fansome

« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2015, 1453 UTC »
And who's this Chris guy trying to horn in on our schtick?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2015, 2341 UTC »
I know, Al. The guy acts like he owns the place.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns