We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: reddit: I just bought four hours of air time on WBCQ  (Read 1815 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
reddit: I just bought four hours of air time on WBCQ
« on: October 03, 2015, 2233 UTC »
I took advantage of Allan's free-radio-fall-special and bought four, one-hour time slots on WBCQ and gave it to the guys who produce one of my favorite podcasts about war and historical gaming. Needless to say, the show will be something different on the air waves. It felt cool to be able to buy the air time and do this. $25 an hour is a crazy good deal.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shortwave/comments/3nc6sz/i_just_bought_four_hours_of_air_time_on_wbcq/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline SW Observer

• View Profile
    • International Numbers Station Monitoring Association
Re: reddit: I just bought four hours of air time on WBCQ
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2015, 0213 UTC »
I bought airtime on WBCQ for $20 an hour, from January of 2015 to July of 2015, first it was two shows a week on 5110 kHz, then once a week on 7490 kHz.

I would broadcast an adapted version of my online talk podcast, where I'd discuss current events at the beginning and then play an eclectic variety of music throughout the remaining 50 minutes or so of the program.

I have all the recordings and I ought to make them available for rebroadcast one day, the show's name was VORW and I must say that working with WBCQ was fun and was a pleasure.

Florida, always listening via my Tecsun PL-660 receiver.

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
Re: reddit: I just bought four hours of air time on WBCQ
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2015, 1351 UTC »
Good stuff Chris!  I bought a Friday night hour long block on 5110 for 3 months during last year's pirate airtime special and "repurposed" WAZU shows from the previous three years to fill the slots.  Like RW, I found Allan and his staff to be very accommodating and easy to work with.  Best of luck with the propagation - and the feedback...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State