We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A new Islamic State radio station spreads panic in eastern Afghanistan  (Read 2193 times)

Fansome

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/a-new-islamic-state-radio-station-spreads-panic-in-eastern-afghanistan/2015/12/21/f41ecf96-a75c-11e5-b596-113f59ee069a_story.html

By Pamela Constable December 22 at 9:56 AM

JALALABAD, Afghanistan — At exactly 6 p.m. across this nervous city and surrounding districts, a clandestine radio broadcast comes to life each night with sounds of clashing swords, drumming hoofbeats and bursts of machine-gun fire.

“Caliphate Radio, where hell welcomes the conspirators of infidels,” intones the announcer in the Pashto language. For the next 90 minutes, speakers deliver sermons on Islam, recite Koranic verses in Arabic, threaten death for anyone connected with the “infidel” government and call on young Afghans to join their holy war.

No one is sure where the week-old broadcasts are coming from. Officials say that they are attempting to track the radio broadcast facility and silence it, but they suspect it is mounted on a truck, moving among the tribal regions that straddle the nearby border with Pakistan. The program can be heard throughout Nangahar province but not nationally.

Already, the broadcasts have struck new fear into residents of this besieged region, a rich agricultural area and strategic trade corridor. Fighters loyal to the Islamic State, known here as Daesh, its Arabic acronym, are reportedly arriving as close as 12 miles from this provincial capital as they wrest control of areas where Afghan security forces remain largely confined to outposts.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
Time for the Blue Eagle to do a fly over DF and send in a few jets to exterminate the bastards (sorry folks but I am hot on  this subject)

Terror radio... that's all we need...  bleeech

It's an FM station on 90 MHZ FM according to the following:

http://www.tolonews.com/en/afghanistan/22841-daesh-militants-launch-radio-station-in-nangarhar
« Last Edit: December 22, 2015, 2148 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Perhaps a reception report delivered via drone might get some results :D
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
Sounds like a plan... Man... have a merry Christmas and a happy happy ;-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
And a Merry Christmas to you also ka1iic!  :)
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Oh, that is just disgusting.  The very antithesis of Radio Freedom, isn't it?  I'm thinking here of the only other clandestine station I've ever heard of as signing on with gunfire sound effects, though I didn't know that one personally; too young.  Utter.  Polar.  Opposites.  *has the just about queasy shivers* 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Jalalabad in the 70's, eating apricots, pistachios, watching buzkashi, and smoking a red resinous substance with a blue seal in the hubbly-bubbly.

Haji Al Fansoom was the greatest Chapandaz of the era. A superb horseman, he could ride and drag a goat like no other. The Lord of Buzkashi was Al Fansoom. He was a great friend of mine.

There was movie made about him with Omar Sharif playing the the lead role. The great lie the ferengi Frankenheimer wrote in about Al Fansoom losing his leg in a great match for the King should haunt Frankenheimer's descendants unto eternity. I witnessed the match with mine own eyes. Al Fansoom rode like the wind that day, whipping his opponents into submission as he left them in the dust on the steppe of Mazar-i-Sharif. Cursed be the generations of that great heap of camel dung Frankenheimer.

Inshallah, we may see the likes of Al Fansoom ride again.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
This could be worrisome for the Piron ate radio folks...  Me being a paranoid type.  The powers that be only need something like this to increase shut downs etc claiming that
ho me la nd thingie by the group in the 3 letter washing (by the) ton peeples.

Just saying...

I don't do piron stuff bc of said claimed paranoia...

Also I have to consider Doctor Poo and his litter box...  he messes my life (and his 'litter box') up so totally.

Time to put on the tin foil DEVO hat and hail BOB... prepare for X-day and all of that...

And as for any1 on this forum that might know me personally...  7 years have long since past so I smile :-)
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Oh, that is just disgusting.  The very antithesis of Radio Freedom, isn't it?  I'm thinking here of the only other clandestine station I've ever heard of as signing on with gunfire sound effects, though I didn't know that one personally; too young.  Utter.  Polar.  Opposites.  *has the just about queasy shivers* 

I have a recording (vintage 1990's) of an African clandestine that opened up with "bone type" drums into machine gun sounds.   And, back in the day, Up Against the Wall Radio would open with machine gun blasts into their ID.

I like the idea of the drone delivered reception report.
Merry (and safe) Christmas to all.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Could that African clandestine be Radio Freedom itself?  If it was prior to 1994 it's definitely possible, although I don't know how long after 1990 and Mandela's release/the start of the transition to equality they actually stayed on the air. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.