We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What's The Morse Station on 6360 KHz (L.S.B.)?  (Read 3298 times)

Offline Andrew353w

• Barnet, Hertfordshire England
  • Major Denis Bloodnok, Indian Army RTD Coward & Bar
    • View Profile
    • Email
What's The Morse Station on 6360 KHz (L.S.B.)?
« on: January 12, 2016, 1046 UTC »
Hi! First posting on here! I've been twiddling along the scales & came across a rapid high-pitched Morse transmission on 6360 KHz at 10:30 G.M.T. today (12th Jan). Coming through in north London at strength 7/10, continuous.

Any thoughts?

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: What's The Morse Station on 6360 KHz (L.S.B.)?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2016, 1612 UTC »
Hi! First posting on here! I've been twiddling along the scales & came across a rapid high-pitched Morse transmission on 6360 KHz at 10:30 G.M.T. today (12th Jan). Coming through in north London at strength 7/10, continuous.

Any thoughts?

This is not going to be a Clandestine Station, so I have moved the thread to Utilities, where it probably belongs.

If you can provide a little more detail it will increase the probability of a good ID.  A recording makes it even better.  A screen shot of the spectrum could also help, but not as much as a recording.

You say 6360 kHz LSB and high pitched Morse code.  It is really best if you can give “center frequency” when talking about Morse transmissions (if you don’t know how to derive that it can be discussed).  Saying 6360kHz LSB Morse means the signal can be anything from (depending on your receiver passband) about 6356 up to 6360 kHz.  And there are dozens of past known Morse stations in that range.

The next question is, how sure are you that it is Morse code?  Are you familiar with RTTY or FSK?  Those are both often mistaken for “high speed” or very rapid Morse by relatively new listeners or experienced listeners that do not typically listen to Utilities.

The reason I mention RTTY or FSK is because a very good candidate, in fact I bet it is what you are hearing, would be PBB, Den Helder, Netherlands.  This is a Dutch navy FSK signal that is on 6358.5 kHz, right in the middle of your passband when tuned to 6360 kHz in LSB mode. 

T!

T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2016, 1714 UTC »
Thanks T!
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline STF_RI

• View Profile
    • STF Radio Intl.
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2016, 2325 UTC »
I noticed this as well, it's probably the Link-11 discussed in this thread http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,25673.0.html  I think we're hearing it in idle mode:

--from the linked radioreference wiki
Afedri SDR w/ Pixel RF-Pro 1B loop
PL-680 w/ random wire antenna in the garage
Zone XM41.

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2016, 2103 UTC »
Link 11 can sometimes be confused for Morse, however it is far more common for RTTY / FSK to be confused for high speed Morse.  Since the description was "rapid" I would tend to not think Link 11.

Notice the time gaps in your screen shot.  Link 11 just does not sound like high speed Morse.

Also, as I said, that frequency is often occupied by PBB, in FSK mode.

This is the sound of a typical FSK signal:
http://www.tokenradio.net/Radio/SharedFiles/AudTfer/FSK_example.mp3

This is the sound of a typical Link 11 signal:
http://www.tokenradio.net/Radio/SharedFiles/AudTfer/Link_11_example.mp3

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA