We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: “Hell, if it had knobs, I bought it.”  (Read 1976 times)

Fansome

“Hell, if it had knobs, I bought it.”
« on: March 07, 2016, 0014 UTC »
http://jacksonville.com/news/georgia/2016-03-05/story/florida-man-donated-150-radios-georgia-radio-hall-fame

Florida man donated 150 radios to Georgia Radio Hall of Fame

By Terry Dickson Sat, Mar 5, 2016 @ 5:12 pm | updated Sat, Mar 5, 2016 @ 5:18 pm

ST. MARYS | Somewhere on the highways between Sebring and St. Marys on Wednesday, Lamar Heath could have turned the radio on the rental truck he was driving to a station that played “On the Road Again.”

He was hauling a cargo of 150 old radios on the truck that probably played “Your Cheatin’ Heart,’’ FDR’s announcement that Pearl Harbor had been bombed and some Tommy Dorsey, Guy Lombardo and Frank Sinatra. Heath drove the radios, some of which dated to the 1920s, and put them in the care of John Long, director and curator of the Georgia Radio Museum and Hall of Fame in St. Marys.

For the time being, however, they’re in storage because Long said he doesn’t have room to display 150 more radios in the one-room museum with a display of 50 radios, an old radio studio when vinyl LPs were the norm and other memorabilia.

Explaining his donation, Heath said, “We don’t have room for everything,’’ and his wife, Karin, agreed.

Heath said he would likely miss some of the radios once he got back home, but added, “I’ve got plenty left.”

Among those he still has is a Zenith shutter dial console and a 1938 Stewart-Warner wooden cabinet radio.

“When you look at it from the end, it looks like a spade in a deck of cards, a really high-end radio,’’ he said. “The kids can fight over it after I’m gone.”

Perhaps one of his daughters, Lisa Jinkins, staked out a sweat equity claim, having come from Brunswick to help unload the radios.

It’s not as if old radios have been a lifelong pursuit for Heath, who was in the Navy during Korea and then spent a career with a federal agency that kept tabs on savings and loans banks.

Heath said he collected most over a seven-year period starting around 1990.

“When I started, I was buying with a vengeance,’’ he said. “Hell, if it had knobs, I bought it.”

Most of the radios were silent when Heath bought them so he repaired them. He learned early on that the filters, which are large capacitors, were the problem.

“That’s what usually goes bad. Old resistors hang in pretty good. I’d replace the filter, turn them on and a lot of them would play,’’ he said.

Among those he donated were some upright wooden consoles with beautiful wood. There was a little veneer missing on some, but Heath said that’s easily fixed.

Some were wooden Crosley tabletop models with cloth covers over the speaker, but there were a few small radios made of Bakelite, an early form of plastic.

The dial of a Westinghouse console, probably manufactured in the 1940s, gave the option of short wave, medium wave or regular broadcasts. Its row of six preset buttons had the call letters of WAGA, WSB, WGST and WATL, all Atlanta stations, and WLW in Cincinnati and WSM, the Nashville station that still broadcasts the Grand Ole Opry on Saturday nights.

Long said he welcomes the radios, but doesn’t know how he will display them.

He went to the St. Marys Convention and Visitors Bureau board, which provided room for the museum in its St. Marys office, and asked to expand into an unused space but was turned down.

“We’re going to have to grow,’’ Long said. “It would be impressive to see 150 radios along with the 50 already there along with a lot of equipment.”

Long said it’s become evident a lot of people in Georgia and Florida want to donate to the museum, but space is a problem.

Most visitors say good things about the museum in the visitors registry. About the only criticism, Long said, has been, “I expected something a little bigger.”

Displaying even a fraction of Heath’s donation will require something bigger.

Terry Dickson: (912) 264-0405

Offline Bones

• NE Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: “Hell, if it had knobs, I bought it.”
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 0045 UTC »
He could have dropped a couple off at my place on the way to St. Mary's.  I would have taken good care care of 'em.
Kenwood TS-940SAT
Sony SW7600G
QTH: NE Florida

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2016, 0053 UTC »
All these years and I never knew your given name was Lamar.

Fansome

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2016, 0724 UTC »
I'm surprised that this didn't end up as a Karen Silkwood incident, with the SDR Mafia waylaying this guy and pulling all of the knobs off of his cargo, and forcing his car into a ditch.

It's just a matter of time.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2016, 2055 UTC »
I'm surprised that this didn't end up as a Karen Silkwood incident, with the SDR Mafia waylaying this guy and pulling all of the knobs off of his cargo, and forcing his car into a ditch.

It's just a matter of time.

You tell 'em, Lamar!