We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Bonito RadioJet 1102S and 1305P- lack of reviews  (Read 4975 times)

Offline dingo31

• View Profile
    • Email
Bonito RadioJet 1102S and 1305P- lack of reviews
« on: June 04, 2016, 1105 UTC »
Cannot see too many words about RJ 1102 and almost nothing about the bigger brother 1305.   :-X
Are they reliable products ? When looking on the bonito web these products are fantastic, the best of the best ! Is it so or not? That's the question ? . Opinions from who's tried and owned bonito's radios is very welcomed  :D

Offline OhFiveCharlie

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Bonito RadioJet 1102S and 1305P- lack of reviews
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 1450 UTC »
I was hoping to see some replies also as I'm considering purchasing the 1102s like you. I've seen a brief review posted on SWLing website done by a reviewer named Fernando (translated to English from German). I've also seen a few Youtube videos. I haven't heard anything bad about it and I like the fact that it's not a "true" SDR radio, prone to crashes and needing frequent updates.
Please post if you hear anything more about the RadioJet 1102S.
 Take care,
  Jeff..

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 1500 UTC »
I've never used one. However, under the SDR header on this board there's a discussion about the top five SDRs/waterfall displays where Token has this to say about the RadioJet 1102S:

The Radiojet 1102s is a good receiver, with impressive, but not top tier, specifications.  It is not a bad receiver, indeed it is a rather nice receiver, but it does not bring to the table what many people expect and want in an SDR.  The 1102 is not, in my mind, a “real” SDR.  Now, right off the top, that statement is technically wrong, but let me explain what I mean. 

The 1102s is a hybrid radio.  It combines a traditional superhetrodyne design with a DSP.  This means the signal is downconverted to an IF, with filtering and other signal conditioning operations before and during downconversion, and then the IF is digitally sampled.  There is nothing wrong with this approach, many SDRs on the market do something similar.  However the issue I have is the 1102s then only samples 24 kHz of IF width.

So with the 1102 you have no wideband display of signals around whatever you are tuned to.  If you tune to a frequency you see that frequency, plus and minus 12 kHz.

Radiojet calls this approach “innovative”, and would have people think this is unique.  However WinRadio (in their G3XX series) was doing this for years before the 1102s was introduced, and many ham radios have done this (the same processing technique but without the display) for over 10 years.

The take away here might be that although the 1102s is a good single signal receiver, it does not do what many users want from an SDR.  The following is a list of things that most SDRs can do that the Radiojet cannot.  If you want a visual indicator in the form of a waterfall of what is happening across a band this radio just will not do it for you, although it will show you the signal you are tuned to and possibly things immediately (close in frequency) on either side of that signal.  If you want to make an I/Q recording of a bandwidth wider than a single channel (plus a small guard band on either side) this radio will not do it for you.  If you want to receive/record/listen two different signals at one time this radio will not do it for you (unless both are inside the 24 kHz window).  If you want to look at / receive a transmission with a bandwidth wider than 24 kHz this radio will not do it for you.

http://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,26814.msg105001.html#msg105001

I don't know what you are looking for in this receiver, but this is at least one user's opinion about what it offers.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline dingo31

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 0040 UTC »
MDK 2 - tks.

However the quoted review made by Token is one of the very few reviews available for RJ 1102. That is old review for old model.
Now we have on the market the new model RJ 1305 which looks to be a true SDR. Unfortunately absolutely nothing about this model - neither good or bad.
If somebody can give any clues or any other details about 1305 please go ahead and post it  for us  :D
« Last Edit: June 09, 2016, 0053 UTC by dingo31 »