We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Scientist claims he's discovered a magnetic 'sixth sense' in humans  (Read 1076 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
A researcher in US thinks he might have finally found evidence of humanity's sixth sense - the ability to detect, in some subconscious way, Earth's magnetic field.

The ability to sense Earth's magnetic field has been confirmed in birds, insects, and some mammals, which they use to migrate and orient themselves with the world around them, and now geophysicist Joe Kirschvink from the California Institute of Technology says he's identified it in humans for the first time.

Full article: http://www.sciencealert.com/scientist-claims-he-s-discovered-a-magnetic-sixth-sense-in-humans
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Maybe this will be enough to stop women from constantly asking, "Are you sure you know where you're going?" Just because their sense of the magnetosphere is blunted by hairspray fumes and aluminum in deodorants, doesn't mean men have the same impairment.

Personally, one of my great Grandaddies provisioned Dan'l Boone for his trip through the Cumberland Gap and provided him with a guide. (That's actually true, unlike most of this post.) It is physically impossible for the men in my family to get lost, although like ol' Dan'l we might get perplexed about the best way to get there. Especially if there are yappy women distracting us.

My Grandpa used to pretend to be lost just to tick Grandma off, with tricks like, "Well Hell, there used to be a road through here. Hand me the wire cutters boy, let's cut through this pasture and see where we end up." (This, unfortunately, is true, too.) The farmer was pissed as we came rolling past his house and hit the hard road, as was Grandma who had been quacking all the way, but Grandpa was right, there had been a logging road through there in the 40's. That man never got lost.

It's nice to see the boys at CowTech finally figure out Grandpa's Gift.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
I moved 700 miles east and now can't tell north from east, back home I knew what direction was what on a cloudy day. Maybe the magnetic declination is different here.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
A number of years ago I noticed I always slept with my head towards the North...  When ever I set up the beds in the big house always the head board was in the North...

No good reason for it, it just happened that way... I seemed to sleep better in that position AND it helped with the voices in my head... they came in much clearer. ;-)

But all joking aside... I did always sleep with my head to the north no matter where I was... just another one of my weird idiot-Nsync-rotcies I guess.
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!