We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: UNID 1710 AM 1120 UTC 11 Aug 2016  (Read 2365 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
UNID 1710 AM 1120 UTC 11 Aug 2016
« on: August 11, 2016, 1125 UTC »
Decided to give 1710 a try in the morning. Some music (Spanish? So perhaps a pirate) mixing with a TIS station or three, barely heard under the horrific IBOC hash from WRCR, even using LSB mode. The USB of course is beyond horrible. No one even listens to AM stereo, all it does is destroy reception on adjacent channels.

One TIS station has a relay of a NOAA weather station from New England? So that's a DX catch of some sort.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 1710 AM 1120 UTC 11 Aug 2016
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2016, 1616 UTC »
Decided to give 1710 a try in the morning. Some music (Spanish? So perhaps a pirate) mixing with a TIS station or three, barely heard under the horrific IBOC hash from WRCR, even using LSB mode. The USB of course is beyond horrible. No one even listens to AM stereo, all it does is destroy reception on adjacent channels.

One TIS station has a relay of a NOAA weather station from New England? So that's a DX catch of some sort.

this is a big reason why i often dont bother, because the TX for WRCR (even at night time power) is located in the path of reception for me so 1.710Mhz is out of the question, besides, even at certain points where its clear enough of the garbage from WRCR, the TIS stations destroy whatever is there anyway, its like fishing for a gold colored wild salmon at this point, i can hear the NOAA relay as well but i have to wonder, what is exactly the point to relay that on a TIS station ?
i know its slightly off topic but have you discovered any additional information about that carrier on 1.720Mhz ?
i too can see a slight carrier on the spectrum but thats about it, ive been recording 24 hours at a time on 1.720Mhz to see if this carrier ever comes up enough to present audio, it never happens.
it can also be seen on various online and remote SDR's so i wonder if it is some sort of very low power station operating there or just some sort of harmonic.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2016, 1618 UTC by EliteData »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2016, 1706 UTC »
No, I have not discovered anything. 1720 has never been strong here, either.

Update: Not even seeing it at 0029z.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2016, 0054 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 0030 UTC »
I try to listen to 1710 every day to see what's there. Usually have just a weak carrier after dark and no recoverable audio.

KBGG on 1700 is pretty strong up here at night and it destroys 1710's LSB, so that means listening to 1710 in USB (or SAM with USB, if I happen to be using a radio that does it). I leave radio set to ~1709.9 USB listening to hear when the carrier gets strong and leap into action when it does, only to be disappointed by a fade.

I do listen to AM Stereo (in C-QUAM)- occasionally on 540 WXYG. And it does sound good. Real good.

IBOC is a great jammer. Jams a lot of stations I want to listen to. China, on HF, should switch from CNR1/Firedrake to IBOC. Ha. Firedrake on IBOC. Firedrake on one digital carrier, CNR1 on another, and they still have a third programming choice for a veritable plethora of jamming genres. Now if it was Firedrake on C-QUAM....

I've tried listening to an IBOC digital stream from a local 50 kW station that's around 20 miles away and it can have trouble locking and it sounds like a crappy low bitrate Internet stream. Breaking up & re-buffering drives me crazy. At least with analog static & fades, the brain can put in what is missing at times. I'm going to stop now.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline EliteData

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2016, 0431 UTC »
listening tonight 8/13/16 0426 LSB @ 3Khz bandpass, appear to be hearing only 3 stations, springfield armory and two others relaying noaa weather radio but that damn IBOC from WRCR is just taking everything out at times.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2016, 1914 UTC »
IBOC- InterBand Off Channel.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.