We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Swling  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Swling
« on: September 08, 2016, 0005 UTC »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Swling
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2016, 0439 UTC »
Touche  ;D

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2016, 2359 UTC »
Oh what the crap, here's the vid as it sposed to be seen;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mzapOem41Gg
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2016, 0254 UTC »
Do any of you guys remember Gore Vidal and William F. Buckley having a debate on the "Dick Cavett Show"? Buckley relied on a upper class sheen to brass it out it tough spots, but Vidal came from older, more established, prestigious families. Buckley's game didn't work with him when trying to use it to make points in their snob-off.

In short order, Vidal, being his usually snarky self, is running circles around the guy, blowing Buckley's carefully cultivated image on national TV. Buckley's ego can't take it. He's being taken apart by an openly gay man on national TV, a very rare sight at that time. Finally Buckley blows, using some very low class epithets about Vidal's sexuality and is gone. I wasn't much more than a kid, and clearly remember thinking, "Has that guy never played the dozens? When you throw q**** , you lose." They bleeped it out, but it was clear what was said. It was a while before Bill made it back on national TV.

Later in life I found out Buckley and his brother had been taught by tutors until they were nearly in their teens. No wonder he didn't know the rules.