We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DW for Smart TV  (Read 2556 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • From the People's Radio Republic of Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
DW for Smart TV
« on: January 14, 2017, 1427 UTC »

I received this email from Deutsche Welle and figured I would share if anyone is interested, I don't have a device that it would work on -

DEUTSCHE WELLE

With DW for Smart TV you can enjoy every show on DW exactly like you want – whether it is catching up on missed episodes, tuning in to live TV, discovering everything about a new topic or watching every episode of your favorite magazine – with DW on your smart TV, you decide what's on. The DW for Smart TV app is available free of charge on Sony, Samsung and LG Smart TVs.
We are currently developing the app to be used on Apple TV and Android TV and we would like to make the Beta version of the app available for testing to a select group of users.

Do you want to test the DW for Smart TV app prototype?

To test the app for Android TV, you will need an Android TV-capable television or an Android TV box like Nexus or Shield.
To test the DW for Smart TV app for the Apple TV platform, you will need a 4th generation Apple TV box.

All you will then have to do is an e-mail by Januar 29, 2017 and apply to be a tester. Our developers will contact you with all the details.

We’re looking forward to working with you – thanks for your support!
Best regards,
Your DW team

Find out more about Smart TV here.

service@dw.com
dw.com/english
dw.com/smarttv
« Last Edit: January 14, 2017, 1505 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: DW for Smart TV
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 1533 UTC »
Sounds cool but I'm in the same boat.

Isn't "Smart TV" an oxymoron in the days of the Kardashians and Trump?

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2017, 0217 UTC »
Smart TV...

Just got rid of a Sony Trinitron (circa mid 90's) for an LED circa 2009.

Can DW can go back to SW? Please? I used to listen and miss it these days.

Radio is theatre of the mind. TV rots the brain.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2017, 0256 UTC »
It's funny you mention that, Skeezix. I loved to play baseball, and love to listen to it on the radio. I can't stand to watch it on tv or at the ballpark, it's dull as dirt. Playing it and on the radio, you're in the game, in the stands you're just watching the game, and on TV you just see a constant shot of the pitcher scratching his ass with couple of dumb ex-jocks cracking jokes while he does it.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2017, 0316 UTC »
Could not agree more.

On TV: boresville (although, the Cubs on TV for the last game of the World Series was fun)
On Radio: Fun
At the stadium: Usually boresville (unless in the elite section, where I got to go once, just once).

Back in the late 70's & early 80's, used to got to ballpark with my Dad & Grandpa. Grandpa used to bring the transistor radio. I thought it was a little odd as we were RIGHT THERE. But, as I got older, I completely understood.

As far as the "on-air personalities" ... can we PLEASE get some competent people on the TV and radio? I want to hear play by play, I do not want to hear obscure trivia and what I (?!?!) should be doing if I was on the field. And if there's nothing going on and nothing to say, then let the audio of the crowd fill in and announcers shut up.

We used to have the MN Twins on WCCO 830. Solid station. Then they moved to KSTP AM1500 for a few years. Fine, as long as you're west of the Twin Cities at night. Now they're on an FM station. FM for baseball?!? Sure, the scores on RDS is actually kind of cool, but aside from that, sports should not be on FM. Its just wrong. I don't know why. If I was running the ball club, I'd want them on an AM flamethrower.

And our hockey team is on FM as well for the games. Bah. I tune to WGN 720 to get Blackhawks games when I want to hear hockey. Sure, I'd rather listen to the Wild, but AM vs FM... AM wins.  I favor AM more than FM, than I do the teams.

« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 0318 UTC by skeezix »
Minneapolis, MN

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2017, 0351 UTC »
Almost any sport on TV is hard to watch because the "color" analysts are all dull as dirt, but they yak yak yak away. Cement walls have more color. If I can turn on the local radio simulcast, I'll do that, but often with modern digital TV (and it's true whether it's via airwaves, satellite, or cable) there's a delay and half the time the play is over on the radio before it's begun on the screen. Still, I usually need the visual element and only do without it when I have no choice, such as if I'm working on something away from the TV room (we've vowed to only own one) or driving, so I put up with the lack of synchronicity.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • From the People's Radio Republic of Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2017, 1326 UTC »
I could not agree more.  Just thought I'd pass along the email.  Coincidentally, I am wearing a "Radio - Theater of the Mind" sweatshirt as I type.

Skeezix - If you are a fan of baseball, take a hop over to the Julian Sleeper House Museum on South St. Albans, St. Paul.  A friend of mine is owner/curator.  Among the displays are Presidential Garfield items, Slovenian ethnic collection, Roseville pottery, and a baseball collection (including many on Ichiro).  The curator has seen an MLB game in over sixty ballparks (including Australia, Mexico, the army base game last year) and has been to dozens of milestone games - 3,000 hits, 500 homers, 300 wins etc.  

Two Twinkies notes -  Among the first games I had attended was the very first Yankee Bat Day in 1965 when the Yanks began their slide and the visiting Twins were a power.  All the under 14 year olds in the crowd were given a Little League size bat.  Tony Olivia must have thought a couple of kids were missed.  As he was prone to do, twice he swung and missed and launched a pair of bats into the stands.

Until their recent departure - the AA Twins were about a half hour drive from me.  I saw many of the very good Twins from ten years ago come through the system - including David Ortiz.  A very solid organization from top to bottom when here.

Finally, here is my thought about sports teams going from clear channel stations to FM & lower watt AM stations - probably money.  I use to be able to pick up the Twins on WCCO just north of NYC as a kid.  Is there any reason for a local Minnesota/Wisconsin/Dakota AM station to sign up (pay?) to be an affiliate if WCCO is blanketing the Midwest?  If your flagship station has limited range, then affiliates are more attracted to pay to broadcast to their local area.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2017, 1505 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)