We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: DIGTRX working on windows 10 (solution)  (Read 6267 times)

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
DIGTRX working on windows 10 (solution)
« on: February 19, 2017, 2022 UTC »
if your computer does not have a physical serial COM port, DIGTRX will not function - serial COM port function was built into DIGTRX to enable PTT transceiver control.
in order for DIGTRX to work on windows 10 without the "error reading comcombobox1.comproperty: registry error" coming up, you will need to install a "virtual serial COM port".
if you plan to use a serial COM port from DIGTRX for PTT transceiver control, i would suggest purchasing a USB to serial COM port - a USB serial COM port will also enable DIGTRX to function without this error.
install "virtual serial driver" from > www.eltima.com/products/vspdxp/
this is trial/demo software that expires after 14 days but since we are not actually using the eltima program itself and the COM serial ports within DIGTRX, were only using it to get the DIGTRX to function - DIGTRX just needs to "see" a serial COM port.
after installation of the virtual serial driver, launch it and then press "continue demo", then press "add pair" and then close out the eltima software program.
then DIGTRX should be completely functional.
i do not know what the effects will be when the trial/demo expires after 14 days (probably cant use the ports but they will still be there enabling DIGTRX functionality) but there are other free options available to install a virtual serial COM port from a google search (use caution), i chose this one for its simplicity.
please let me know how this solution worked for you as it works flawlessly for me (windows 10 x64 pro)
if DIGTRX was coded to suppress exception errors, this issue would be non-existent. (it was coded using C++)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 2046 UTC by TheRelayStation »
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

vhavrilko

Re: DIGTRX working on windows 10 (solution)
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 1545 UTC »
Thanks!  I just remembered that I have a serial port emulator from Eterlogic so I will try that first.  If not, I saved the website just in case.

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
Re: DIGTRX working on windows 10 (solution)
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 1633 UTC »
Thanks!  I just remembered that I have a serial port emulator from Eterlogic so I will try that first.  If not, I saved the website just in case.
no problem.
alot of the older programs compiled in C++ throw simple exception errors but prior to windows 10, the older operating system would simply dismiss those exceptions.
in this case, DIGTRX doesnt see a serial port in device manager and it throws an exception error and closes.
with windows 10, the serial port may exist in device manager but it will be "greyed out" when viewed under "hidden devices" because it is not actively being used, this is why DIGTRX throws the error.
i recognized the exception error from my days of compiling programs using C++
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv