We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sideband Preacher Babble 15555 kHz USB WJHR Shortwave 15.555 MHz USB  (Read 7082 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
I was cruising around 19 meters and came across what I thought was two-way comms (while listening in AM mode) on 15555 kHz / 15.555 MHz...I then switched to USB and realized it was yet another crazy rambling radio evangelist preacher, typical of, well, all the shortwave broadcast bands.  A quick Google search shows me its WJHR out of Milton, Florida.

The question in my mind is, why is this guy using SSB?  Isn't the point of these radio evangelists to reach as many people as possible?  I don't think people with AM only portable receivers would bother to buy a more expensive receiver when they can hear Brother Stair and a dozen other equally delusional radio preachers transmitting in AM? 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
They've been up there awhile, and I've often wondered the same thing.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Isn't there supposed to be more oomph for the PEP if you're in USB or LSB without any carrier? I remember Token telling me something about that last year in the chat, when I was still really new to all this. I wonder because this station is always weak, and I don't know if it's because of the direction of the beam relative to my western QTH, or if they're operating well below the advertised power of 50 kW.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Instead of putting power into carrier + USB + LSB, put it all into USB.

They have been around a while and I've wondered the same thing. But, its their transmitter and their money.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline myteaquinn

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Perhaps those that use in AM are already saved; those that use USB are somewhat redeemable. but those that use LSB are broadcasting/listening  from the gates of hell and why bother.
Northeast Ohio
Now using Shazam for song identification
myteaquinn@yahoo.com

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
Perhaps those that use in AM are already saved; those that use USB are somewhat redeemable. but those that use LSB are broadcasting/listening  from the gates of hell and why bother.

Upper Sideband is the manliest of modes.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
*raspberry*  :P 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
*raspberry*  :P 

Don't blame him. USB was declared the manliest of all modes by He-Man of He-Man Radio back in the mid-90's. He was having fun with a female pirate named Juliet who operated in AM.

Everyone agrees about LSB, it's the lesser side band.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
It might come down to money, ssb may be cheaper to run than am at that station, but I don't suppose many 3rd worlders have a product detector. So in that light, maybe he's trying to reach more advanced and wealthy heathen?
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
It might come down to money, ssb may be cheaper to run than am at that station, but I don't suppose many 3rd worlders have a product detector. So in that light, maybe he's trying to reach more advanced and wealthy heathen?

Per HFCC this beams at an azimuth of 5° so  that's probably the case. A whole lot of HFU regulars are right in that path. Repent!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
    • View Profile
Don't blame him. USB was declared the manliest of all modes by He-Man of He-Man Radio back in the mid-90's. He was having fun with a female pirate named Juliet who operated in AM.

Everyone agrees about LSB, it's the lesser side band.

I never heard He-Man say it, but Red Mercury Labs sure did a lot and they got me in the bad(?) habit of saying that frequently.

Then there is glorious C-QUAM, the mode that conquers all for great audio, yet is merciful to allow lesser radios to still listen in goodness of plain ol' AM. SSB (either one of them and their dual-personality weirdo, ISB) sure aren't nice like that. They not only demand pure dedication to their mode, but precise tuning.  Who has time to tune? Get it close, call it a day.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
If they were actually running 50 kw, they should blast into here since they are beaming pretty much right at me, of course that's all you do is assume they are beaming at 5 degrees and running 50 kw. Google maps satellite view of the address of the transmitter site shows a log periodic pointing more like 270 degrees instead of 5. Bing shows the same antenna pointed around 315 degrees. Doing a search on the FCC website shows the owner of WJHR is a ham so I bet the same equipment gets used for both his ham station and the broadcast station. Either way, if you're beaming towards me, I should be able the hear something better than a signal that's buried in the noise, especially since they're supposed to be running 50 kw. I've heard hams on 20 meters from down in Florida running only 1500 watts max that are stronger than this guy, I've even heard pirates with a more potent signal.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
If they were actually running 50 kw, they should blast into here since they are beaming pretty much right at me, of course that's all you do is assume they are beaming at 5 degrees and running 50 kw. Google maps satellite view of the address of the transmitter site shows a log periodic pointing more like 270 degrees instead of 5. Bing shows the same antenna pointed around 315 degrees. Doing a search on the FCC website shows the owner of WJHR is a ham so I bet the same equipment gets used for both his ham station and the broadcast station. Either way, if you're beaming towards me, I should be able the hear something better than a signal that's buried in the noise, especially since they're supposed to be running 50 kw. I've heard hams on 20 meters from down in Florida running only 1500 watts max that are stronger than this guy, I've even heard pirates with a more potent signal.

315° would be very strong out my way. WRMI has a transmitter that's at 315°, which is the one they use for 5850 AM, and everything on that one barrels in (except when it's daylight in these summer months). Of course, they're at 100 kW, but even so. I've definitely copied stronger hams from SE locales than WJHR.
Denver, CO.

Offline Jeanguypataterubberboot

• View Profile
You should listen to him. Might do you some good

Offline Treehouse SWL

• DX Legend
  • Lake Stevens, Washington
    • View Profile
    • personal website
    • Email
Glenn Hauser's "World of Radio" (I listen via podcast) talked about this some time ago and indeed concluded they're running a fraction of the 50 kW they're licensed for.

This past week's episode (April 2) includes an account of a listener trying to visit the station's transmitter site and not getting too far before turning around for fear of being shot at.

That said, that WJHR signal has been coming in stronger than usual lately to the upper-left corner of the U.S. where I'm located. (Of course, when I just checked it now, I couldn't hear it.)
Eric Fetters-Walp / eQSL to fettwalp@outlook.com

Radios: Eton Elite Field, Sihuadon R-108, Eton Grundig Edition Satellit
Antennas: 60-foot-long end-fed wire, MLA-30+ loop

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns