We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Voice of Yetti Radio Int'l. 6926 AM 1717 UTC 16 Jan 2018  (Read 1824 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Voice of Yetti Radio Int'l. 6926 AM 1717 UTC 16 Jan 2018
« on: January 16, 2018, 1719 UTC »
Just signed on. YL repeating an ID. A very good SIO 444 signal. But because it is a synthesized voice, I am not sure exactly what she is saying.  Something about the voice of something or another... and Montreal Canada.

A plea to ops:  I love hearing your stations, but... really, please... stop using synthesized voice IDs. Thank you.   Some background on why they're a bad idea:
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/420354/why-synthesized-speech-sounds-so-awful/
http://www.slate.com/articles/technology/technology/2009/03/read_me_a_story_mr_roboto.html
http://www.sparc.ac.uk/media/downloads/executivesummaries/exec_summary_wolters.pdf
"Both older and younger participants had no problems understanding synthetic speech about things they were familiar with, as long as it used well-known words and phrases. However, they struggled with unfamiliar, long, and complex words." - this is why we cannot decipher the station ID, because we don't know what it is supposed to be. We can pick out words like radio, international, voice, Montreal, etc. But not the unique words. Throw in some static, noise, and fading, and it's hopeless. I get the idea, you don't want to use you real voice. But maybe get someone else to record it? Disguise your voice?

Again, I deeply appreciate the broadcasts and am not criticizing them. Just trying to make some suggestions that will let listeners figure out what they're listening to.

1721 "Highway To Hell"
1723 More synth IDs, and off.  Thank you for the broadcast... whoever you were.

I went back to check the recording. Hey, after knowing what I was supposed to be hearing... I can hear it ! Imagine that  ;D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 1232 UTC by ByteBORG »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: UNID 6926 AM 1717 UTC 16 Jan 2018
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2018, 1728 UTC »
 8) Shazam .. I received the remote transmitter of the Yetti International.
Good show, and yes short transmissions good idea. 434 Here in Cherokee Land
I did receive French Canadian and male English ID. Have recorded FYI. Nice set up. Old Beast :-X

Reception report welcomed Box 666 (the devil)
                                        Montreal, QC, Canada
 ::)

To esteemed listen Chris, the ID were not in English.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 1733 UTC by digitalmod »
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
Re: Voice of Yetti Radio International 6926 AM 1717 UTC 16 Jan 2018
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2018, 0348 UTC »
I get the idea, you don't want to use you real voice. But maybe get someone else to record it? Disguise your voice?

Voice scrambling is an option, though that has its limits too. Too much scrambling will be similarly unintelligible.
This is not an endorsement. I have never used these but here are some ideas:
http://www.nchsoftware.com/voicechanger/index.html
https://voicechanger.io/

In lieu of that, operators using a computerized voice should repeat IDs several times, slowly. It gets tedious if you try to use it for all spoken words but it helps when it comes to IDs.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2018, 0900 UTC »
They don't work. There was a fella who claimed to be a Bunny on-air who ran a minor station a few years back. He used a voice synth. He made the mistake of challenging listeners into proving who he was. A guy in the Netherlands did, and the jig was up. It was a simple shift of pitch from his regular voice which was well known in both pirate radio and his local commercial radio. He went through the roof the Dutch fellow put out his results side by side with his voice from his other pirate stations and it was the same. That's why we refer to him as "That Dumb Bunny".

Many of us see him as figure of pity and a lesson; Don't challenge listeners to figure out who you are, they will, and don't drop dox on other pirates, another bad habit of his.

I wonder what became of that Dumb Bunny?

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2018, 1417 UTC »
 8) Oh come down off it bro. I received the Yetti fine with all the languages. Y'all should have your hearing checked? 10-4 8)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2018, 1721 UTC »
I used to do remote tx'es with tape deck from the boonies. Sometimes the shows were recorded weeks in advance. There was brief period I decided to screw around with vocal effects on the ids. I remember listening to one of them as it was being broadcast, recognizing the music, definitely something I put together, but those id's sounded like two tomcats going at it in a running dryer? I knew roughly what it was supposed be, but I couldn't remember all I was yapping about during breaks on that show? I was never able to decipher a word. I decided on the spot, fancy vocal effects weren't for me.

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2018, 2024 UTC »
Many of us see him as figure of pity and a lesson; Don't challenge listeners to figure out who you are, they will, and don't drop dox on other pirates, another bad habit of his.

One thing that deserves a quick and walk the plank reward, being a trader . You get sliced and diced as a favor to the sharks

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2018, 0032 UTC »
Another alternative is the good-old-handy-dandy CW IDs. PeeWee style....

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2018, 0034 UTC »

He's back and using a computerized voice.  ;D

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2018, 0701 UTC »

He's back and using a computerized voice.  ;D

You mean that terminal cancer he claimed that struck him a decade and a half ago still hasn't killed him? Why he must be part Fansome!