We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: JOTA is this weekend 10/19 - 10/21/2018. Suggesting FREQ's link.  (Read 706 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
Well, this is different to check out, Boys / Girls Scouts on the amateur bands, https://www.scouting.org/jota/  Last year, I participated in a club outing at a camp near Barboursville, WV to introduce scouts to radio, many for the 1st time. When I was growing up, every kid either had, or knew about walkie-talkies, and had parents with CB's. Last year's event, only about 3 out of 40 kids knew about two-way radio. And even if they never key a mic again in the amateur bands, you know that many will be exposed again to HF / VHF if they go into the military. This year? I was asked if I can stay at home and work the stations around me. The 1st time that I did that in the 1990's I worked a 6M SSB station from a camp just east of Buffalo, NY. So, what FREQ's? Anywhere that the volunteer amateur station's license lets them operate, but mostly the voice portions of the HF bands. (So, pretty liberal there, but a good bet that a majority will be in the General's portions.) On VHF / UHF, simplex FM FREQ's like 146.550MHz, 146.580MHz, and 446.000MHz. Around LA, CA and maybe Chicago, 223.500MHz, where the 222MHz band is still hot. Anyway, something different. Happy DX!!!!
 UPDATE!!!!!!!! Here's the quick link for the suggested FREQ's, https://www.scouting.org/jota/operators-guides/     Scroll down for the FREQ's. I see that on the 2M band that they suggest the 147MHz simplex FREQ's.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 0337 UTC by ThaDood »
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.