We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Planned outage  (Read 2549 times)

Fansome

Planned outage
« on: May 21, 2011, 2342 UTC »
As many of our very, very numerous viewers noticed today, HFU was unavailable on the net for a brief period. This was a planned outage; the extreme reliability and popularity of the site had put a terrible strain on our ISP, and they begged us to allow them to take us offline for a short time while they upgraded their servers and other equipment to allow them to handle the load. Of course, we agreed, and the result was that HFU was out of touch for a small interval. In other words, we meant to do that.

You can expect HFU to be as dependable as ever, and even more so, after this upgrade. As our user base continues to expand exponentially, HFU will continue to plan for the future, allowing us to serve our membership in all matters radio, and remain the premiere pirate radio site on the net.

Thanks, and don't forget to share the HFU love with other members of the pirate radio community! And join us for lively conversation and live loggings of pirate broadcasts on #pirateradio, the IRC channel that brings the excitement of pirate radio to you AS IT HAPPENS!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2011, 2352 UTC by Fansome »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Planned outage
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2011, 0113 UTC »
Applying the same math CB uses to calculate how long WBNY has been on the air, the HFU has been online continuously since 1937. :-)

FWIW, klutzy me didn't have the runlevel for the apache web server correctly set, so it would automagically run when the HF Underground server was rebooted. But I do remember to renew the domain name before it expires, so I guess that's something.

« Last Edit: May 22, 2011, 1822 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline paranoid dxer

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2011, 0119 UTC »
Applying the same math CB uses to calculate how long WBNY has been on the air, the HFU has been online continuously since 1937. :-)

1937  wow  and you just now replaced the tubes   ;>)
"In the long run, the greatest weapon of mass destruction is stupidity.

"I believe in animal rights. They have the right to garlic, and butter." - Ted Nugent

Have you ever danced with the devil in the pale moonlight

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2011, 0010 UTC »
I intended to post this reply to Commander Bunny's thread, but the FRN was down just as I tried to post the reply (confirmed via the Down For Everyone Or Just Me? web utility).

I SHUT DOWN THE HF UNDERPANTS!
Originally posted by Commander Bunny:
Oh, and try posting a link to FRN on HF Underpants and see how long that stays up. 
Commander Bunny

I've posted many links back to the FRN from the HFU discussion board and wiki.  None has been deleted.

It's helpful to be able to link back to FRN logs for wiki articles about pirate stations or notable programs.

And linking back from the HFU to some of the lengthier FRN discussions about equipment and techniques helps minimize the need for excessive quotes.

There's no policy of deleting links to the FRN or censoring posts that refer back to other sites (other than outright spam - usually from India, China, etc.).  The FRN's extensive database of logs and discussions dating back over a decade is a valuable resource.  Unfortunately it appears some links back to the FRN have been broken, presumably due to system glitches, such as the one late last year that deleted my original FRN account.  Fortunately some older FRN discussions have been archived on a mirror site so context is still preserved.

I've also noticed over the years that Google hits for FRN discussions tend to link to reply pages rather than to the original thread, so it's often necessary to use the FRN's internal search function to locate the actual URL for a particular log or thread.

Ironically, just as I tried to confirm this post, the FRN was temporarily down (confirmed via the Down For Everyone Or Just Me? web utility.

So occasionally it's helpful to have redundant sources for information.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2011, 0043 UTC by Lex »
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)