We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR tips  (Read 551 times)

Offline Decoder64

• View Profile
SDR tips
« on: November 12, 2018, 1755 UTC »
Hello since my SDR is not up yet and everyone here snagging pirate left and right tried one remte in Peen,one in utah ,for a few days now,,,,? is in north America anyone have an sdr that is hot for pirates,,Thank You

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: SDR tips
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 1804 UTC »
A lot of pirates are transmitting from somewhere in Eastern North America, so that's where they're copied the most as well. Check sdr.hu, then click on the Map feature (it's on the right, at the top of the list of receivers), zoom in, and take your pick. Some have more local noise than others, though, and some pirates transmit with more or less power - or more or less skill - than others, so sometimes you have to hunt around.

There's also one on the web SDR network in NE Pennsylvania that can be good. Web SDR's are nice in that they don't have limits on the numbers of listeners that I can tell, nor a time limit like many kiwi SDR's, but most only allow a few bands to be copied. Fortunately this one includes the pirate band.
http://k3fef.com:8901/
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns