We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Which band  (Read 903 times)

Matt285

Which band
« on: February 13, 2019, 0200 UTC »
If you had to choose One band within the SW broadcast spectrum, which band and why? Just a curiosity..... ok you can go outside the broadcast frequencies a little if need be.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Re: Which band
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 0835 UTC »
You need to supply more detail!

Are you listening or transmitting?

What coverage or area of the universe do you want to communicate / listen to?

43/48m is by far the most popular for various reasons...

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Matt285

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2019, 1215 UTC »
Within the broadcast spectrum 13,49m etc for listening. I live in the South Eastern part of the U.S. Just curious about various bands. For instance I listened to 22 meters the other day which I don't ever do and managed to pull a station out of Zambia. My typical time to listen is probably similar to most, usually 7pm to 10 pm during the week.

Offline East Troy Don

• DX Legend
  • "If you can't convince them, confuse them" Truman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2019, 0121 UTC »
Any band without Brother Stair.
Primary: Yaesu FRG-7700  Secondary: ICOM R75 Tertiary: Grundig  750. Tecsun PL-990X, Tecsun PL-880 . Malahit DSP SDR V3,  Alpha Delta  SWL Sloper antenna. : Also, 1940 Mantola am/sw tube. CountyComm GP-5/SSB hand held, Tecsun PL-380 ,et al.  QTH: EAST TROY WI  USA.  Sea Level: + 320 meters .  75 miles (but not far enough) NNW of Chicago

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2019, 2129 UTC »
It used to be that the 7 to 10pm slice was prime listening for Americans as foreign stations would choose appropriate bands to employ to send to the US. Sadly, the vast majority of Americans view shortwave as archaic in the age of the cellphone and innernets.

The foreigners realised few Americans listened to their bcasts so they dropped them to North America, reduced them greatly, or went online. Only the poorest of the poor in the world don't have a smartphone with innernets, and these poorest of the poor remain as targets for shortwave broadcasters as they still use portable am shortwave radios to provide information and entertainment. If only it wasn't so expensive to burn megawatts, use huge costly antenna arrays, and of course pay the slick professional talent for producing radio programming.

That being said, I like the 9Mc and 6Mc bands as well as most of the others for dx porpoises
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns