We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark II  (Read 1765 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark II
« on: March 03, 2019, 1655 UTC »
Previous post: https://www.hfunderground.com/board/index.php/topic,41737.0.html

I completely rebuilt my antenna / radio patch board this weekend, using F connectors in place of BNC. While BNC connectors had the advantage of quick connect/disconnect, they did not prove reliable in the long run, developing intermittent connections.

I was debating between F and RCA connectors, I went with F for a few reasons. All of my incoming coax from antennas is RG-6 with F connectors anyway. They're fairly reliable and easy to attach to custom cables. Quick push on adapters are available if I want to be able to quickly change connectors, but I can still go back to screw on for permanent connections.

Otherwise the panel is about the same, I did increase the vertical spacing between the two rows of # connectors to make it easier to attach cables in the back.

Some of the cables going to radios use BNC cables, so I got some BNC female to F male adapters, to connect the runs on the back of the panel. Bad idea. These adapters are garbage. You cannot tighten them completely, and they quickly fall apart (as in a few minutes):

So I ended up making new runs using RG-6 with F connectors (I use compression F connectors now, so much better than the old crimp style), and used F female to BNC male adapters on the radio end. These adapters are much more reliable.

And no, the 1000 ft LoG antenna does not yet exist, that's for a future project  ;D
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 1538 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Telegrapher

• The Netherlands
  • UVB-76 bought me in the SWL'ing habit.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Antenna / Radio Patch Board Mark II
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 1034 UTC »
Nice project to look at. It’s nicely designed at the point of view already :)

It kinda reminds me of the first telephone booths where each call had a single line for a local service to plug into to connect the caller back in the days :)

Good luck with your project. Nice to see the first steps u described above. Gives some inspiration as well.

Kind regards,
Telegrapher

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 1752 UTC »
Being prompted by your panel, I dug out the bag of ancient cable tv relics and found an old 3-way f connector antenna switch like from back when you had a vcr, tv, and a coleco pong, an inline variable attenuator by ratshack, and several splitters that should be good at least down to MF.

All of that arranged appropriately should offer useful rf switching/leveling/routing/sharing paradigms.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 1540 UTC »
The patch board is full

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree