We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Irish heaven (was Laser H.H. 26 apr 2019)  (Read 864 times)

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
Irish heaven (was Laser H.H. 26 apr 2019)
« on: April 27, 2019, 0740 UTC »
"Yes Demetre, the TX is said to be in Ireland and unlicensed. The studios are probably in the UK, and the station is also on a stream (I never checked that...). The Irish Republic seems to be the heaven for all the British free SW radios.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2019, 2239 UTC by Ray Lalleu »''

''The Irish Republic seems to be the heaven for all the British free SW radios.''

According to my information, Eire is not the heaven for all the British free SW radio stations.

Britain itself has still been chosen as the heaven by at least a couple of the British free SW radio stations. For security reasons, I won't name them.

Anyway, this is good news for SW listeners seeking QSL verifications from free SW radio stations transmitting from Great Britain.

As for QSL verifications from a free SW radio station transmitting from Northern Irish soil, I reckon that's a pipe dream at present.

That said, there was one more than two decades ago. I recall it had the callsign 'Rock Radio' and that its transmissions emanated from Coleraine, on 6240 kilocycles.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2019, 0832 UTC by Ray Lalleu »

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Laser Hot Hits 6205 AM 1915 utc 26 apr 2019
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2019, 0813 UTC »

''The Irish Republic seems to be the heaven for all the British free SW radios.''

According to my information, Eire is not the heaven for all the British free SW radio stations.

Britain itself has still been chosen as the heaven by at least a couple of the British free SW radio stations. For security reasons, I won't name them.

Well, not every British free SW station is gone to Eire, not yet. But Bogusman has been raided recently.

About the security reasons, don't panic : the Offcom has surely ways to locate the transmitters much better than the TDOA by wiki SDRs. But if no one complains (particularly from abroad), they are not pushed too hard to organize a raid. Their priority is surely to raid the FM pirates in the London area. 

D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Jock Wilson

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Irish heaven (was Laser H.H. 26 apr 2019)
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2019, 0928 UTC »
An excellent post, Ray.

As for Bogusman, I have little sympathy for that station's demise. There are 2 reasons:

First, 6312 is a poor choice of frequency as it is either a distress channel or too close to that distress channel, which is an SOS frequency for mariners.

Second, Bogusman aired old comedy shows that included racist and anti-gay remarks. Some of them DID actually anger some of his listeners, though not me.

I have little doubt that said station was reported to the British authorities for one or both of the reasons above.

I reckon that The Bogeyman came face-to-face with Bogusman, thanks to tracking and triangulation. Once close by, the Bogeyman's task wil have become much easier due to detection of Bogusman's ground wave, and in that scenario there will only be one winner, especially as Bogusman was transmitting from his abode.