We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Rescue 240 working Trenton Military 11232 USB 22:09 5 Nov 2019  (Read 900 times)

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
  • Riding the (electromagnetic) waves...
    • View Profile
Rescue 240 calls Trenton Military and informs them that they are on scene at 2208 Zulu, Departed Winnipeg at 2119 Zulu.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
Re: Rescue 240 working Trenton Military 11232 USB 22:09 5 Nov 2019
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2019, 2316 UTC »
Rescue 240 calls Trenton Military and informs them that they are on scene at 2208 Zulu, Departed Winnipeg at 2119 Zulu.

23:14 RCC 240 informs Trenton they completed their search lat/lon and nothing conclusive found. Sounds like an active search & rescue operation.
SDRPlay RSP1a, Airspy HF+Discovery, Malahit Clone with v1.10D & MLA-30+ Magnetic Loop Antenna

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 2248 UTC »
Since ALE took over USCG, my s&r fix has been provided by Trenton Mil and the rescue squadron. Used to be almost daily USCG sr ops on 8983 and 5696, but no more as USCG went ALE and now they're all over the place. Even heard them chasing drug boats and tracking nefarious subs.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline jasmine

• Seattle
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 2333 UTC »
Since ALE took over USCG, my s&r fix has been provided by Trenton Mil and the rescue squadron. Used to be almost daily USCG sr ops on 8983 and 5696, but no more as USCG went ALE and now they're all over the place. Even heard them chasing drug boats and tracking nefarious subs.
wow that sounds super interesting. Trenton was very active again today.

regarding the USCG i've decoded some ALE (COMMSTA Kodiak working some vessel and helicopter) and it seems like the traffic is just "hey i'm here" type messages. so my question is, if ALE is sort of a selcall for further communications elsewhere then where did the voice comms that you used to listen to go? does the USCG use ALE to pass the same types of messages as data via ALE rather than USB voice?

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2019, 2351 UTC »
For some years now USCG has used ALE for link setup to provide the best chance at being heard at each end. Used to be easy, 8983 day, 5696 nite. They've always had other freqs in the pool but those two were the bread and butter.

Dunno how many times I heard a helo off the coast of AK calling for Kodiak and Kodiak not hearing the helo, or vice versa - when I was in Nebraska or Indiana. ALE reduces that issue greatly but I don't want to tie up a pc system and rx to follow ALE so have given up on it for now however sometimes in the evenings will fire up a rx on 8983 and sometimes traffic appears there. In ALE they can send various text messages back and forth with a high degree of reliability, but ALE is meant to find the best freq for voice traffic to take place on. Also note CBP seems to share assets with USCG.

Here's a recent writeup on the issue;
http://mt-milcom.blogspot.com/p/us-cbp-cothen-net-updated-9302012.html
« Last Edit: November 06, 2019, 2354 UTC by Josh »
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.