We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SCA Radio  (Read 676 times)

Matt285

SCA Radio
« on: December 16, 2019, 2024 UTC »
Wasn't sure where the best place to post would be. I know SCA broadcast use to transmit Stories and educational resources for the visually impaired. It this still a thing? What do you tend to hear now on SCA other than Muzak? Thanks

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: SCA Radio
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 2219 UTC »
In major markets you can find some ethnic programming out there.  To some degree, the falling price of AM properties and HD sub channels with translators have decreased the need for this service.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 2328 UTC »
There are still a few (very few) stations with SCA in the Baltimore and DC area. Far fewer than a few decades ago.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Matt285

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 2352 UTC »
Thanks for the replies. I looked in my area and found a of couple stations. Mainly used by small stations targeting Haitian, Colombian and Cuban audiences. Central Florida is quite common for people of these areas to move to based on Geography and similar climate.