We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Amateur radio skills prove useful during bushfire emergencies  (Read 872 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Amateur radio skills prove useful during bushfire emergencies
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2020, 0340 UTC »
I'm commenting because this made me think of a ham in Finland named Greg White, whom I'm pretty sure is Australian by birth and had a decent ham radio & shortwave channel on youtube. A couple of months ago he posted some crazy video claiming that ham radio wasn't of any effectiveness in times of emergency using the most hackneyed reasoning (basically since few people die in forest fires annually, there's no real need for hams - it was something along those lines). I know from interactions I had with him on Facebook that he had zero tolerance for mild disagreement, so he must have gotten a ton of blowback for that video. He deleted his channel so I can't link back for everyone to see how ridiculous it was, but that kind of reaction is what I'd expect based on the reaction he was inviting with such an absurd argument.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2020, 1944 UTC »
Some kid with a ticket was hiking with friends on a mountain and they came across someone who had fallen a long ways and was busted up bad. It took them hours to hike to where they were. Anyway, he fired up his ht and the only repeater he could bring up was the local sheriff dept. He called the dispatcher, told them who he was and where he was and that someone needed life flight immediately.

They lifeflighted the busted up guy and took the kids radio, later trying to charge him for using law enforcement freqs.
He got his rig back and they dropped charges after being revealed to be the fools they are. You never know when HAM will become important. Also I think I read the geniuses running kali have denied need for HAMs and their rigs in their latest wildfires.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 2137 UTC »
Also I think I read the geniuses running kali have denied need for HAMs and their rigs in their latest wildfires.

That last bit's been widely debunked. Beware rumors, especially the ones that cater to your beliefs.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 2133 UTC »
LOL!!!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns