We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sony in big trouble  (Read 4005 times)

Fansome

Sony in big trouble
« on: December 12, 2008, 1322 UTC »
There's been talk on rec.radio.shortwave that this could be the end of the 7600G portable.

http://www.asianews.it/index.php?l=en&art=13973&size=A

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sony in big trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2008, 0735 UTC »
Yikes.  The last line in that news report is frightening:

"Sony doesn't have any core businesses that generate stable profits."

Sony has fairly recently entered the serious dSLR arena, including a "full frame" (35mm film paradigm, 24x36mm) camera that some believe was a direct response to Canon and Nikon.  Retailing for thousands less than the competition, it's obviously a loss leader and Sony is hoping to compensate for the huge losses by taking market share from Canon and Nikon.  But Sony also supplies most digital camera sensors to Nikon and several other camera manufacturers.  So if they aren't profitable in the sensor fabrication arena, they are indeed in serious trouble.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2008, 0435 UTC »
This is great news for Eton Corp ;)

Peace!

Offline bobby_blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2008, 0223 UTC »
Since Morita-San's death, Sony has been a floundering mess.
Poor Q.C. and a lot of ho hum products.
I still have my 7600 grey market from back in the day. Impossible for listening to pirate broadcasts, since the exodus to 6925. It was great for listening to 7415.
Luckily, the MW coverage is pretty impressive.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 1818 UTC »
Try the Sangean 909. It's the old Sony 2001 with a few tweaks and a different layout on the front of the plastic box.

The thing eats batteries though.

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 0140 UTC »
Try the Sangean 909. It's the old Sony 2001 with a few tweaks and a different layout on the front of the plastic box.

The thing eats batteries though.

Check out the offer to mod a DX398  to perform as a Sangean 909 at the bottom of the page on this link.
http://www.radiolabs.com/products/receivers/super909.php
L Cee
East Coast - USA

cmradio

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2008, 0257 UTC »
The cost for complete modification is $109.95.

Spend $40 more and get a new E5 ;)

Peace!

Fansome

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2009, 1251 UTC »
Sony may announce drastic cost cuts: media

Reuters
Monday, January 5, 2009; 1:25 AM

TOKYO (Reuters) - Japan's Sony Corp is likely to announce closures of Japanese factories and major divisions early next month, the Times of London said on Monday, but the company denied any such plan existed.

The maker of Bravia flat TVs and PlayStation video game consoles faces halting sales and mounting piles of inventory in the wake of the financial crisis, even as a stronger yen bites into earnings.

Sony, whose empire encompasses semiconductors, movies and insurance, is braced for a series of measures that would abolish some of its domestic operations and transform the electronic giant's business, the Times said, citing company sources. "We do not plan to announce additional restructuring measures at this time," spokesman Atsuo Omagari said, in response to the report. "We don't have any such plan."

Sony announced a $1.1 billion savings plan in its electronics division in December, but it needs further and bigger restructuring measures to secure growth, analysts have said.

The company, which broke new ground with its Walkman in 1979, has fallen behind Apple Inc's iPod in portable music and is losing money on its flat TVs.

It said last month that it would cut 16,000 jobs, curb investment and pull out of businesses for savings of 100 billion yen a year, as the holidays failed to coax spending.

Sony expects its operating profit to nearly halve to 200 billion yen ($2.18 billion) in the year to March, but 17 analysts polled at Reuters Estimates gave a mean estimate of 45.8 billion yen, down almost 90 percent.

Shares at Sony closed Monday trade up 2.5 percent at 1,970 yen, while the benchmark Nikkei average rose 2.1 percent.

(Reporting by Mayumi Negishi; Editing by Edwina Gibbs)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2009, 1544 UTC »
The cost for complete modification is $109.95.

Spend $40 more and get a new E5 ;)

Peace!

I've got an E5 for field use. The SSB function is a little too finicky for me,I hate that damned lil' wheel,but for 150 bucks you get your money's worth.

Damned sensitive radio and selective.

cmradio

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2009, 0201 UTC »
I've got an E5 for field use. The SSB function is a little too finicky for me,I hate that damned lil' wheel,but for 150 bucks you get your money's worth.

It is a pain, yeah.

If they made it +600Hz instead of 2.5KHz, it would have been fine and overlapped enough for the main tuning.

It's also an analog oscillator, making it drifty. But I found by warming up the radio on SSB for 10 minutes or so, it's pretty stable.

Damned sensitive radio and selective.

Isn't it insane for a little portable? :o

Peace!