We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: How software-defined radio could revolutionize wireless  (Read 1810 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
In 1976, two shaggy-haired college dropouts founded a company called Apple to manufacture personal computers. The company's prospects looked so poor that the third co-founder relinquished his 10 percent stake in the company for $800 that same year. It simply wasn't clear why anyone would want the firm's Apple I computer. It was so under-powered that it couldn't perform many of the functions of mainframes and minicomputers that were already on the market. And most consumers had no interest in having a computer in their homes.

Today, of course, Apple is the world's largest company by market capitalization. What was important about the Apple I wasn't the meager capabilities of the original version, but the promise it held for rapid innovation in the coming decades.

Now, a company called Per Vices hopes to do for wireless communication what Apple did for computing. It is selling software-defined radio gear called the Phi that, like the Apple I, is likely to be of little interest to the average consumer (it was even briefly priced at the same point as the Apple I, $666.66, but has since been placed at $750). But the device, and others like it, has the potential to transform the wireless industry. This time, the revolution will depend on hackers enabled to manipulate radio signals in software...

Full article:

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/07/how-software-defined-radio-could-revolutionize-wireless/

(I'm sure Fansome is incredibly excited by the continued advances of SDR technology)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: How software-defined radio could revolutionize wireless
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 0034 UTC »
Fansome, for one, welcomes our new SDR overlords.

I, on the other hand, am prepared with my dark glasses, bubble gum and shotgun.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 0117 UTC »
It's only fair to warn you Chris; I've tipped off the Amish about your new-fangled technology. They aren't pleased.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2012, 0243 UTC »
You just cost the man his galena crystals,Al. Are you proud of yourself?

cmradio

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2012, 1223 UTC »
Software defined control of a pentode RF/IF chain sounds good to me ;D

Peace!

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2012, 1533 UTC »
Nice food for thought article Chris - thanks for sharing!  This might be a good area of experimentation for interested parties.  A low-power spread spectrum beacon shouldn't attract attention.  And if a few beacons were "around", the growing number of SDR owners could then experiment with decoding/demodulation.  Sounds like a really fascinating winter project to me, but I'll need to bone up on the theory a bit more.  It's been a long time since college...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2012, 1652 UTC »
Nice food for thought article Chris - thanks for sharing!  This might be a good area of experimentation for interested parties.  A low-power spread spectrum beacon shouldn't attract attention.  And if a few beacons were "around", the growing number of SDR owners could then experiment with decoding/demodulation.  Sounds like a really fascinating winter project to me, but I'll need to bone up on the theory a bit more.  It's been a long time since college...

A spread spectrum beacon sounds very interesting... I assume you could have a network of them, all on the same frequency. Might be neat for propagation monitoring. Since encoding is often easier than decoding, I wonder if there's a relatively low cost way to make the transmitters, so they could be located in remote locations, as is done now with the various CW beacons.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2012, 1949 UTC »

A spread spectrum beacon sounds very interesting... I assume you could have a network of them, all on the same frequency. Might be neat for propagation monitoring. Since encoding is often easier than decoding, I wonder if there's a relatively low cost way to make the transmitters, so they could be located in remote locations, as is done now with the various CW beacons.

[/quote]

It's been a long time since I've dealt with any of this so I'm just floating trial baloons here, but I believe a DSSS transmitter could be done easily enough.  You would need to generate a pseudorandom code train and input it with the digitized audio signal into an XOR gate, then phase modulate a carrier with the resulting signal.    The receiver needs to sync to the same pseudorandom code train to retrieve the audio signal.  Several different transmitters can use the same chunk of frequency without interference if they all use different code trains.  An easy way to generate psuedorandom code is to use a linear feedback shift register - basically a shift register / XOR gate loop... two ICs...  At least that's how I see it.  Any input would be welcome...
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns