We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Perseid meteor showers peaking this weekend in spectacular show  (Read 1880 times)

Fansome

latimes.com/news/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-perseid-meteor-shower-20120810,0,2124757.story latimes.com

Perseid meteor showers peaking this weekend in spectacular show

By Rene Lynch

12:01 PM PDT, August 10, 2012

The Perseid meteor shower -- that annual summertime favorite -- is back this weekend. And it's expected to be spectacular.

The stars have aligned, so to speak, to enhance viewing Friday night and Saturday night when the Perseid meteor shower will be at its finest. The shower, which lasts from Aug. 10 through Aug. 13, is widely considered to be the best of the year, says the astronomy website EarthSky.

One tip: Try not to blink. "The Perseids are typically fast and bright meteors," EarthSky says.

Tweet us your Perseid photos at #LATPerseid

The waning crescent moon is one of the many reasons why viewing conditions are especially good this weekend.

And you won't necessarily have to stay up terribly late -- or get up especially early -- to enjoy the show, EarthSky says.

"Meteors are typically best after midnight, but ... with the moon rising into the predawn sky, you might want to watch for Perseid meteors in late evening as well," the site says.

The best viewing, however, still will be during the darkest part of the night because the Perseids tend to strengthen in number as late night deepens into midnight, according to EarthSky.

Don't despair if you just can't swing a late night. There's always the option of waking up super early as the Perseids "typically produce the most meteors in the wee hours before dawn."

In other words, just look up into the sky. There's almost no bad time to catch this shower.

If you have the flexibility and want a prime viewing location, the Los Angeles Griffith Observatory suggests finding a "wilderness location, far from the effects of urban light pollution." If you're going all out, the observatory suggests positioning your sleeping bag or chair so that you're facing east or northeast.

The Perseids often peak at 50 or more meteors per hour in a dark sky, EarthSky says. This year, however, the meteors are expected to fly at a rate closer to 50 or 60 meteors per hour.

Stargazers are also in for an added treat: The moon will brush past Venus and Jupiter in the eastern predawn sky, EarthSky says, adding: "You can’t ask for more!"

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Perseid meteor showers peaking this weekend in spectacular show
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 1850 UTC »
NASA promised not to let you have free wi-fi from that darned probe.

We were all told the the interwebs would be Fansome free once you blasted off.

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 0420 UTC »
Sorry, but I'm a Special Flower, and I deserve these privileges.

NASA promised not to let you have free wi-fi from that darned probe.

We were all told the the interwebs would be Fansome free once you blasted off.

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 0624 UTC »
Layed outside for an hour and saw the ISS and a couple polar orbiting weather satellites, but only one, dull meteor :-\

Peace!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 0627 UTC »
You're certainly special.

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 0837 UTC »
Ha! I was out too early.... they're rockin' now! :D

Peace!

Fansome

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2012, 2310 UTC »
Remember Pigmeat; sarcasm is the Devil's tool. Or so my ex used to tell me.

You're certainly special.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2012, 2314 UTC »
Cloudy again tonight. Oh well... how does the lunar interference look next year, Fansome?

I guess there's always the Leonids in November.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2012, 2326 UTC »
I am the Master Cylinder, King of the Moon, and I hate intruders!

http://www.felixthecat.com/friends-master_cylinder.htm

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2012, 0506 UTC »
Uh-oh,he's gone Bunny on us.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2012, 1334 UTC »
I managed to see a few meteors last night, when the clouds parted. So it wasn't a total loss.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

cmradio

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2012, 2206 UTC »
Super, Chris!

I saw far less last night than yesterday ~ 0300 local and last night was supposed to have been the peak.

Peace!