We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Microwatt Miricle - sand-dune temperature drifter  (Read 2643 times)

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
Microwatt Miricle - sand-dune temperature drifter
« on: September 30, 2012, 1852 UTC »
I have implanted a mile from a small desert town in Inyo County a free-running oscillator beacon of about 1 mW output to low-1/4 wave wire up 3-8 feet above sand (1/4 wave gnd. counterpoise) amongst sand-dunes and scrub that is drifting between 2671 to 2679 kHz depending upon the outside temp and temp within its clear-plastic enclosure - the wee beacon runs on a 12 v/ 9 aH gel cell 24/7 and drifts upward as the temp declines. It is keyed by a 555 low-power timer chip to J-fet oscillator (coil is wound on a toroid) to a 2N2222 output buffer trans. keyed by a 2N2222 keying transistor. It FSKs about 2.12 kHz with one of its "side" of the FSK being a tad stronger than the other.

This beacon seems to closely track ambient temperature of its osc. circuit, thus it is called the "dunes drifter."

It might make the ULTIMATE skip-DX beacon for Token or those in a quiet location at dusk or night to dawn.

73 and gud DXing - -v-

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
Re: Microwatt Miricle - sand-dune temperature drifter
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2012, 1907 UTC »
oh, i need to emphasize this 2671-2680 kHz FSK drifter-beacon is 1 MILLI-watt (not 1 microwatt) and thus might skip some skywave...

-v-

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 0716 UTC »
Usually that band is quiet. Tonight it's 7 S-units of frying eggs and stations have their "head in a bucket of water" like VHF skip.

Weeeeeeiiiiired :-\

Peace!

cmradio

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2012, 0650 UTC »
I have something at 2672.203 at 0748z
(QRSs viewer will show any dot spacing shorter than 3 seconds as a single line)

Peace!

Offline vlfradio

• View Profile
Re: Microwatt Miracle - sand-dune temperature drifter
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2012, 2130 UTC »
It might be it, but over time it should show drift one way or another - rarely does it sit still for more than 15 minutes - it is quite temp. sensitive - about 8.5 kHz freq. swing day to night.  You should also see two frequencies about 2 kHz apart, plus and minus a few hundred hertz. This 1 mW beacon is def. the weidest one I've planted...

-v-

cmradio

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2012, 0128 UTC »
2KHz away was a big wide fuzzy line of computer gibberish swamping anything.

This was a dasher on the one freq. about 800mS on, 800mS off.  If it was shifting 2KHz in that time, it was under the gibberish :-\

The window width is about 2 minutes fastest.

For some reason, I couldn't get my regular spectral analasys goodie, Baudline, to talk to my sound card that night.

Peace!

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 2118 UTC »
I have not yet captured this flea level beacon.  I keep getting snifs of something that I think is it, but never anything I can say for sure "that is it".  Will keep trying.

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA