We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KiloKat7 burning up MW  (Read 6307 times)

rdla4

KiloKat7 burning up MW
« on: October 05, 2012, 0022 UTC »
I assume its the same "kilokat7". I keep seeing posts on RD that he is hearing California stations in MI. Good Job! I recall hearing KFI Once when I live in MI, back in the 70s. Back when WHLO Akron was a limited time station, and was off much of the night. Hearing CA now is much more of a challenge with all of the "riff-raff" on the band at night.

Ahh those days of regular Monday morning maint shutdowns, and the overnight tone Frequency check broadcasts....

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: KiloKat7 burning up MW
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 0721 UTC »
Kilokat7's on a lot of the radio boards.  Has several beverages on ground, pretty good equipment. He also a website with a log / map somewhere.

I hear you on the 'riff raff' getting in the way of you hearing the coast; it also applies to those of us on the coast hearing the Midwest.  You've got to spend a lot of time on a channel to hear whatever snippets of info you can get to ID a Midwest station nowadays, much different than the 70's and even into the 80's.

I used to be able to log WOAI, WBAP, even WWL fairly 'regularly', i.e. when DX season was in, they generally would be audible a lot of evenings.  Now those frequencies are covered by 2-3 regionals.  Makes it more of a challenge, though.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 1134 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 2106 UTC »
I assume its the same "kilokat7". I keep seeing posts on RD that he is hearing California stations in MI. Good Job! I recall hearing KFI Once when I live in MI, back in the 70s. Back when WHLO Akron was a limited time station, and was off much of the night. Hearing CA now is much more of a challenge with all of the "riff-raff" on the band at night.

Ahh those days of regular Monday morning maint shutdowns, and the overnight tone Frequency check broadcasts....

Guilty as charged!  Last month brought some mind-blowing DX on medium-wave - Australia, Tahiti, and some rare domestics including several new Californian's and my best ever reception of KFI:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qu1BI8JfPwc

KNBR and KNX were heard almost every morning last month, KFI has always been more difficult for me since there's a local on 640 now.

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

rdla4

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 2151 UTC »
I used to do a bunch of MW dxing at Higgins Lake, around the Roscommon Metroplex.....It was so quiet up there. (Unlike Metro Atlanta)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 1502 UTC »

Last month brought some mind-blowing DX on medium-wave - Australia, Tahiti,...

Which station(s) did you hear from Tahiti?

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2012, 0106 UTC »

Last month brought some mind-blowing DX on medium-wave - Australia, Tahiti,...

Which station(s) did you hear from Tahiti?

Polynésie 1ère on 738 KHz: http://polynesie.la1ere.fr/radio/direct
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2012, 0527 UTC »
Polynésie 1ère on 738 KHz: http://polynesie.la1ere.fr/radio/direct

Very nice. I was there May 2011 and heard them. That was the only local MW station. According to the 2012 WRTH, it puts out 20 kW (assuming that's accurate).

Did a lot of DXing while there and was able to pick up some U.S. MW stations on an ATS-909X using only the built-in loop. Checked my DX notes from the trip and nothing written down for the MW stuff. Rather odd as have plenty of HF & FM broadcast loggings. Know I picked up 830 from Hawaii (was hoping to get WCCO from Mpls). Picked up a few from California, but don't remember which ones.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2012, 0958 UTC »
California stations in MI... now I'm wicked envious!  I've been trying for a West Coast station forever, Canadian or American, and the closest I've managed is Colorado - the usual booming KOA and a brief KMXA catch that I QSL'd (that one might qualify as bad DX, considering it was just after the horrifying events in Aurora). 

You aren't kidding about some wild MW conditions this past few weeks, though.  I got CBK in Saskatchewan for the first time, ditto CKAC in Montreal twice, Mexico city's XEX and XERF have been clear, and I *swear* I got Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on 700 blocking out WLW the other night, though I never got an ID.  Darnit! 

I'd never be able to manage anything on 738 here, unless CFZM Zoomer in Toronto were off air.  I keep trying for Saint Kitt's on 555, but WIND and a loud ESPN affiliate on 550 block it, even if a het is audible.  Grrrr. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2012, 1102 UTC »
California stations in MI... now I'm wicked envious!  I've been trying for a West Coast station forever, Canadian or American, and the closest I've managed is Colorado - the usual booming KOA and a brief KMXA catch that I QSL'd (that one might qualify as bad DX, considering it was just after the horrifying events in Aurora). 

You aren't kidding about some wild MW conditions this past few weeks, though.  I got CBK in Saskatchewan for the first time, ditto CKAC in Montreal twice, Mexico city's XEX and XERF have been clear, and I *swear* I got Saint Vincent and the Grenadines on 700 blocking out WLW the other night, though I never got an ID.  Darnit! 

I'd never be able to manage anything on 738 here, unless CFZM Zoomer in Toronto were off air.  I keep trying for Saint Kitt's on 555, but WIND and a loud ESPN affiliate on 550 block it, even if a het is audible.  Grrrr. 

Check for California just before your local sunrise.  With patience I'm sure you can bag Cali.  For me, 1070 KNX & 680 KNBR are the easiest catches.  During September I had KNBR just about every morning and I've had KNX on the car radio several mornings while commuting to work around my local sunrise.  640 KFI would be another one to check for, though it's tough for me since I have a local on 640 to deal with.

555 St. Kitts has been absent for me so far this season, but they have been widely heard in these parts in past years.
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2012, 1731 UTC »
Ooooooh thanks!  :)  680 and 640 are pretty good possibilities here, as there isn't anything closer than Cedar Rapids or Zeeland, MI on 640, and the only 680 I can usually get is CFTR in Toronto.  1070 is a no-go for me though, sadly.  I've got a local there, and it's flipping loud; it splatters all over KYW on 1060, and 1080 is much the same.  I'll give 640 and 680 a try, if not tonight then tomorrow.  I just have to be careful I don't try too close to sunrise; nothing worse than the band going daywise on you.  Well, except rotten conditions... 

Good to know about Saint Kitt's; I thought it was just me.  Even with the active loop plugged in, I get zilch.  Ah well. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2012, 1901 UTC »
I've learned you have a very small window at the gray-line point in capturing the non NA offset stations. It takes real diligence unless the signals are just falling in your lap. I've only been successful at capturing actual carriers but no audio yet. Plus top notch filtering is generally a must. Something with the ability to shape the filter to knock out or lessen the local signals which are going to be right next-door.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2012, 0814 UTC »
Does KGO 810 San Francisco ever show up in the Midwest? Although their pattern favors N-S, they still run 50 kilowatts at night. 

PS., an interesting fact about KGO -- they used to just make the night time ratings in Seattle and Portland.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2012, 2006 UTC »
Re: KGO in San Francisco: I've never heard them, but I haven't been properly at this for very long.  In my experience, 810 tends to be dominated by WGY in upstate New York here. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2012, 0125 UTC »
Does KGO 810 San Francisco ever show up in the Midwest? Although their pattern favors N-S, they still run 50 kilowatts at night. 

PS., an interesting fact about KGO -- they used to just make the night time ratings in Seattle and Portland.

It's rare, but they do pop in here from time to time.  Here's an example (when WDMP was absent):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CTXQEJDyE_4

Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2012, 0736 UTC »
Huh.  Normally I only get WDMP when the band's gone daywise.  Maybe I'm too close. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.