We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Magnetic Loops...Horizontical...?  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
Magnetic Loops...Horizontical...?
« on: January 05, 2022, 1435 UTC »
Surely someone has tried laying a magnetic loop horizontally. Just for S&Gs...? What does that do to reception?

I've never used one at all, but I know do theres a null through the middle. That is, if you're seeing a donut, consider yourself nulled.

And I know, and agree that, antennas belong outside, and that's where mine usually go, but I've been meaning to stick something in my attic.

I say "attic", but for the most part it's more like a crawlspace, about two foot in height. And that got me thinking about what sorta antennas I could stick up there. Just for the hell of it. My first thought was a Slinky Dipole, my third was a loop. But all horizontal like.

Oh, and while I've got ya: Is there a length limit for powering with a bias-tee connection?

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Erik

« Last Edit: January 05, 2022, 1507 UTC by ErikMattson »
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Magnetic Loops...Horizontical...?
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2022, 2342 UTC »
It is not uncommon to see loops installed at a 45 degree angle in order to optimize both horizontally and vertically polarized radio waves.

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2022, 0214 UTC »
The length limit to the bias tee is the voltage drop due across the length of coax; just like DC on any regular wire. I would not be too concerned unless you are going to be running like a couple of hundred feet or more of feedline, as at moderate lengths, it is not a big deal if you lose like 0.5-1 volt. Preamps tend to have a moderately wide operating ranges for supply voltages anyway.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2022, 0445 UTC »
A couple of options for the BIAS-T.

1. You could use a better quality feed line with lower loss. For example, the direct-to-home satellite industry has been doing this for years using quality RG-6 to power and tune the LNBs/LNBFs.

2. You do not need to install the external power inserter directly at the receiver. The power inserter can be located anywhere closer to the antenna.

Offline Erik Mattson

• Dundalk, MD
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2022, 1532 UTC »
Thank you both, for the help. Thankfully, the RSPdx makes it easier as far as the bias-t goes. And I think Chris and others have convinced me to stop spending extra money and go with RG-6. From attic to cave (basement) would only need about a 50 foot run.

Put together a Slinky dipole yesterday. Don't know if it was worth the trouble, but it looks neat anyway. Think I'll stick that up there as well.

Thanks again.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 0015 UTC by ErikMattson »
~Really Something Other Than Else~
QTH: Dundalk, Maryland, USA
RSPdx, EFHW (N/S-ish), 60' dipole (NE/SW)
heyitserikmattson@gmail.com

Offline RobRich

• DX Legend
  • Tampa, FL USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2022, 1951 UTC »
No prob with 50' of RG-6. :) I have a couple of similar length runs with bias tees for my active miniships, and I use inexpensive RG-6 from the big box hardware stores for most of my receiving antennas.

Copper-clad steel RG-6 feedline might have some loss at like 160m, MW, and lower due to how skin effect works, but those bands are dominated by atmospheric noise anyway, so a few dB loss down there is not a big deal for receiving IMO.
Tampa, FL USA | US Map Grid EL88
Airspy HF+ Discovery | KiwiSDR 2 | 2x Msi2500 Msi001 | 2x RTL-SDR V3 + NE602 | 2x RTL-SDR V4
148' Loop-on-Ground | 31' Vertical | 18' End-Fed Vertical | 9' NCPL | PA0NHC MiniWhip

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns