We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KiwiSDR future/replacement?  (Read 4526 times)

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
Re: KiwiSDR future/replacement?
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2023, 2357 UTC »
Yeah, definitely need IQ mode. I'm using headphones right now and tried it. I have been able to get within +/-3 Hz of the "true" center (as judged by the SAM detector) before I can't hear or sense it beating anymore.

In any case, yes, it does respond to the Hertz position changing, even though that is not reflected in the display. You are right.  8)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 0001 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

Offline M R I

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2023, 0058 UTC »
Nice. I am glad you tried it. I mostly listen to my transmitter in IQ mode. I find it sounds better because in sideband the kiwi has preemphasis. It is not needed on my transmitter since I run preemphasis.
Mix.Radio.International [at] ProtonMail [dot] com

Offline ZL/KF6VO

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2023, 0111 UTC »
I have added a new URL parameter "1hz" which will be available in the next release (v1.620). So for a Kiwi where you don't have admin privileges you can say something like random_kiwi:8073/?1hz or random_kiwi:8073/?other URL params&1hz

Yes, there should be something in the user interface for this. But any changes to the UI are waiting for a major redesign. This URL change took me about 10 minutes to implement and test.

Offline nitroengine

• Minneapolis/St.Paul, MN
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2023, 0812 UTC »
John, thanks for all the work you're still putting into these radios.

Quote from: ZL/KF6VO
Can you imagine what would happen if a renewed Kiwi doubled in price? The backlash would make the effort worthless.

You'd be surprised. A member on another forum made me multiple offers for my Kiwi that went well over double what I paid for it. That's for a (now well used) unit that has been powered up 24/7 for the last couple of years. Of course, everything has a price, but I use it too much to ever think about parting with it. I even frequently use it for casual listening of my local broadcast AM stations during the day.
Receiver: Unlisted KiwiSDR configured to 3-channel wideband mode.
Ant: Homemade "Wellgood" 1m amplified loop normally kept in a fixed position (NNW/SSE) to keep 1500 KSTP in the null.

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2023, 0726 UTC »
Nice. I am glad you tried it. I mostly listen to my transmitter in IQ mode. I find it sounds better because in sideband the kiwi has preemphasis. It is not needed on my transmitter since I run preemphasis.

Yeah, understood.

Previous to trying this out yesterday, I thought that the kiwi was not responding to single-digit Hertz steps simply because I was using the sync detector offset indicator (at the bottom of the "audio" panel, showing the offset from center) to judge if was making the steps. Aside from the fact that the offset indicator jumps around a little bit every second due to noise, etc., I can see that the offset indicator does not always respond linearly to single-digit Hertz steps. While you can null it down to < 1 Hertz offset with"big" jumps (e.g., 30 Hertz, etc.) tweaking it by a few Hertz at a time often does not seem to step linearly in my experience. It might not quite do what you ask it to do. Hence, I was left with impression that it wasn't responding to single Hertz steps.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 2227 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »

Offline cyphermatic

• View Profile
    • Skywave Linux 5 (Now based on rolling Debian Sid / Unstable)
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2023, 0904 UTC »
A few minutes ago, I tried a fun test with a pair of KiwiSDRs, one of the W3HFU receivers and K1VL Vermont. Instead of looking for a zero beat, I had two browser tabs open and went to upper sideband mode, tuning 1000 Hz below CHU. I could then listen for the beat between two tones at 1000 Hz.

Without using the 1hz url parameter, I could not tune arbitrarily between the 10 hz increments on the K1VL receiver. It would round and tune to the nearest 10 Hz. With 1 Hz tuning enabled, I could tune in 1 Hz steps with ease. After having fun doing it by ear, I went to SAM mode and did indeed notice the audio panel's sync offset display respond to those 1 Hz steps (or not, if I didn't have 1 Hz tuning enabled).

That sync offset is a pretty slick way to compare receivers, if you tune them both to the same station! After picking and poking around on several receivers, checking then against WWV, I can say that most are within a couple of Hz and some are dead nuts on frequency - within a few tenths of a Hertz, plus or minus some QSB effects.

Phil C / AB9IL
Skywave Linux

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2023, 0212 UTC »
Without using the 1hz url parameter, I could not tune arbitrarily between the 10 hz increments on the K1VL receiver. It would round and tune to the nearest 10 Hz.

Ah HAH! It's not just me imagining things.

... After having fun doing it by ear, I went to SAM mode and did indeed notice the audio panel's sync offset display respond to those 1 Hz steps (or not, if I didn't have 1 Hz tuning enabled).

Ok, well I was right for a little while anyway.  :D

That sync offset is a pretty slick way to compare receivers, if you tune them both to the same station! After picking and poking around on several receivers, checking then against WWV, I can say that most are within a couple of Hz and some are dead nuts on frequency - within a few tenths of a Hertz, plus or minus some QSB effects.

If they are GPS locked with acq[uisition] of enough satellites (hopefully 4 or more), I would hope so.

I have encountered a few non-locked (I assume) in the southern hemisphere that are ~100 Hz off frequency at 10 MHz - which might not be a big problem in some contexts - but can be misleading in others like FT8, where the TX bandwidth is only ~50 Hz and accuracy down to <10 Hertz is kind of important. :(

Offline Sunspot Surfer

• Minneapolis
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 28, 2023, 1519 UTC »
KiwiSDR developer John is soliciting expressions of interest in the new KiwiSDR2 to select the size of its first production run.
https://forum.kiwisdr.com/index.php?p=/discussion/2994/kiwisdr-2-your-expression-of-interest-needed

Wellbrook ALA1530LN > RSPduo & KiwiSDR2 
sunspotsurfer at gmail dot com

Online Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2023, 1022 UTC »
All KiwiSDR without a particular splash screen image now show the KiwiSDR 2 board
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***