We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Which SDR for RX?  (Read 1578 times)

Offline Maxalt

• In the mountains of NW VA
    • View Profile
Which SDR for RX?
« on: May 03, 2023, 2317 UTC »
I'm looking for a semi-decent receiver for my station, I have an Anan G2 on order but that'll be my main TX radio.
I also have a HackRF but compatibility isn't the best, Ideally looking for as large a slice of HF as possible with good performance and good compatibility.
Looking to keep the spend at $300USD or less.

Thanks all.
Icom 7800, 7610, 7300, 9700 | Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV ESSB | 2 very long endfeds | GAP Challenger DX | LoG for 75/80M | Bev E-W

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: Which SDR for RX?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2023, 2352 UTC »
I personally have been operating an SDRplay RSPduo now for several years and I am very pleased with both the product and the software. My RSP is up and running for an average of approx 14+ hours per day / 7 days a week since 2018. An interesting feature of the RSP is that you can add multiple hardware units to your computer and each one will show up as an additional receiver in the same user interface. One can build a fairly sophisticated "listening post".

Another excellent alternative is an Airspy HF+ Discovery. I just checked their web site and some of their products are currently on sale, 15% off the list price and the dual port Airspy HF+ has been discontinued / no stock.

~SIGINT~

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2023, 1142 UTC »
In addition to the AirSpy Discovery and SDRPlay units, give the AFEDRI SDR consideration. It's a great performer.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2023, 1542 UTC »
I have both the SDRplay RSPdx and the Discovery HF+. In spite of claims that the Discovery is more sensitive, in the real world they perform about equally. The RSPdx has the advantage in terms of multiple antenna ports including one with a bias T, which I use to power my amplified MLA-30 loop when I use that in my high noise environment, as well as full range from VLF to 2 GHz, built-in filters, and online community for support when learning (if you need that). The HF+ is very compact and I think is a bit better when it comes to handling front end overload, however I still use inline bandblocking filters because I'm in a major city with tons of AM and FM broadcast signals, and I sit in the middle of a triangle of AM broadcast towers. Something to consider depending on the exact nature and location of your QTH.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Maxalt

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2023, 1858 UTC »
Thanks for the suggestions!

I was leaning toward the Airspy+ I live way out in the boonies (NRQZ) with no neighbors for miles and no strong stations.
I like the diversity of the duo but it's getting on for double the cost of a single tuner.

Mainly looking for software compatibility and plugins, I'm guessing both of them are catered for equally?

Chris, the AFEDRI looks like a good choice but I'm kinda over having to get software to work with this HackRF and it looks like this would be an uphill struggle.

What I'd love to do is monitor and report all digi (FT4/8/JT/etc) from 0-30 in one go, the closest I've seen is the 20meg bandwidth of the HackRF with SparkSDR2 software.
Icom 7800, 7610, 7300, 9700 | Yaesu FT-1000MP MkV ESSB | 2 very long endfeds | GAP Challenger DX | LoG for 75/80M | Bev E-W

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2023, 2337 UTC »
30 MHz of simultaneous bandwidth is a big ask unless you get into some more expensive hardware like RFSpace or WinRadio. SDRuno (the SDRplay software) does have an extensive memory mechanism where you could enter the frequencies in and scan them. SDRuno can also be externally controlled by other applications using common amateur radio protocols therefor your "digi" software could take control of the receiver.

Offline Maxalt

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2023, 2346 UTC »
I managed to get the HackRF to play nicely with SDRsharp but the lack of plugins for anything amateur radio is a downer.
On the plus side, I get ~20MHz easily.

If I could get SDRuno to work with it I'd be happy.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2023, 2359 UTC »
Nevermind plug-ins, get VB-CABLE from VB-Audio and just route the audio over to the application(s).

https://vb-audio.com/

SDRuno is proprietary to the hardware which is why it is offered at no charge to their customers.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2023, 1741 UTC »
I'd try a new rx888mkii or something from rfspace used in that price range. If you have a strong enough pc, the 888 and sdr console is very hard to beat.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Maxalt

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2023, 0035 UTC »
I ordered an SDRplay DX from HRO when they were on sale, a Red Pitaya and a Hermes 2 lite.
Now I need more antennas.

Still waiting on apache-labs to ship the G2.

Offline europirate

• DX Legend
  • UK
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2023, 1211 UTC »
How did you get on with your SDRPlay RSPdx?

I use it with SDR Console - take a little getting used to but OK.

However I still prefer my JRC's  ;D
JRC NRD-515 & NRD-545
SDRplay RSPdx
Various wire antennas ... Global AT-1000 ATU
Shazam is the DXer's friend!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns