We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A 1MW MW transmitter coming to Pakistan? Looks like it.  (Read 842 times)

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
So, how many teeth fillings and fluorescent lights will this light-up?    https://www.radio.gov.pk/30-07-2023/marriyum-aurangzeb-performs-groundbreaking-of-pbcs-digital-transmitter-in-rawat     Yeah... Another SWL'ing rip. Interesting, that it's going to be DRM. I wouldn't mind seeing a VID tour of this station.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2023, 1751 UTC by ThaDood »
A war is never really over. When you believe that it is, all that has been accomplished is the planting of the seeds for the next, eventual, conflict.

Offline ~SIGINT~

• DXing Phenomena
  • N.E. Canada (FN08)
  • .ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı..ılılı.
    • View Profile
    • Milspec Communication Canada
Re: A 1MW MW transmitter coming to Pakistan? Looks like it.
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2023, 1947 UTC »
That is the problem with these digital transmissions. Just like the conversion to over-the-air HDTV, what a few 100 kW and a good antenna previously accomplished in the analog world now requires a 1 Mega Watt emitter in digital / DRM to achieve comparable coverage.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2023, 0216 UTC »
Actually, TV ERP's went down with the conversion to digital.  What used to be a 3-4MW ERP UHF is now about 1MW.  There is one caveat; analog TV power was measured in PEP essentially (sync tip power) whereas DTV is measured in average power.  When factoring in the crest factor of the DTV waveform, ERP's are still about 2x what they once were.  The power limits are dependent on frequency range, as the equivalent service contour on a UHF TV station requires more power than VHF low and VHF high.  People used to put up with the noise in the picture to watch TV.  I remember sitting on the floor of my grandparent's farm in the midwest and watching snowy TV from far away, because there was nothing else.  Digital of course has the cliff effect.  The SNR required for the receiver to decode the datastream is much higher than what we would tolerate in the analog days.

+-RH
« Last Edit: July 31, 2023, 0305 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Charlie_Dont_Surf

• Charlie's Point, California
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2023, 0127 UTC »
I get TV over the air. I have some channels with marginal reception at my house and generally they are better in the day than at night.

Because I'm a geek, I will go into the settings of my TV to get the SNR values and compare 1) when I can receive certain channels well, 2) when it is indicating "no reception" at all and 3) when it's marginal (cycling between displaying a screen image and not). In general, the threshold where my TV stops showing a consistent image is around 19 +/- 1 dB SNR. Not really knowing much about digital TV, I assumed that it would need a better SNR than that, but apparently not.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2023, 0225 UTC by Charlie_Dont_Surf »
I don't STRETCH the truth.

"Every minute I spend in this room, my signal gets weaker.
Every minute Charlie squats in the bush, his signal gets stronger."

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns