We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Pirates on 8mHz band?  (Read 2082 times)

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Pirates on 8mHz band?
« on: September 14, 2013, 2350 UTC »
I've been thinking recently about the SW pirates and wondered, since 8 mHz is basically empty- has anyone picked up any rare pirate activity on it?
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
Re: Pirates on 8mHz band?
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 0008 UTC »
There was a pirate back in the 1980s called KBFA "Broadcaster's of Free America" that used 8.000 Mhz many times.  I don't know if there have been others in recent times, but this oldie stands out in my mind.
PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2013, 0254 UTC »
There have been pirate beacons in that area for a good decade.

As for pirates, I once heard Sycko doing some amp tests there when checking for beacons.

The area between 7.4-7.6 mhz is a handful of preachers with lots of room in between. If you're  contemplating a permanent pirate frequency change, that's where I would recommend going.

Offline Jolly Roger

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2013, 0434 UTC »
7425 used to be the popular Pirate freq. My first card ever is from Voice of Laryngitis there. Think I heard KIPM there, as well.
Please QSL to MaplRadio@gmail.com

Next weeks contest: guess how many Volkswagons can fit in Joy Behars mouth. I pick five.

If Rosie O'Donnell jumps in the water Rosie doesn't get wet, the water gets ugly.

Icom R9000 (yes, a R9000!)
Pixel magnetic loop

Offline ff

• Upstate NY
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2013, 0033 UTC »
The area between 7.4-7.6 mhz is a handful of preachers with lots of room in between. If you're  contemplating a permanent pirate frequency change, that's where I would recommend going.

I second that.  If you're looking for a new range, 7400-7600 is probably your best bet.  If you are using a modded ham rig, you can easily get it working up there on the 40 meter setting.  However, until listening habits start to change, don't expect much attention.  I can attest to the lack of listeners there... personally.
Hailing from the upstate boondocks region of the progressive paradise which once was New York State