We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Digital radio may replace FM altogether - even though nobody wants it  (Read 994 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
On the 16th December, culture minister Ed Vaizey makes one of the least popular decisions anyone in the Ministry of Fun can make – implementing the unwanted digital radio switchover.

Moving the major UK radio stations to DAB from FM would force the newer digital standard through - while of making millions of analogue sets useless, and reducing consumer convenience.

Full article: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/10/29/radio_switchover_crunch_arrives_with_everyone_in_the_garden/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
A couple of items.

1. The people that dictate think the commoners will just go get more £ from the money tree out back and buy more radios (which means more £ to the companies and more £ in tax collection).

2. Some people may buy a new radio and some won't. Does he really think there will be an increase in radio listeners? I think he'll be surprised. When the US went to DTV, I got a free converter for my SD TVs. Still have it and very rarely watch TV. Bought a new digital converter, but still have no HD TV nor one with a built-in ATSC tuner.  I watch < 1 hour of TV per month. I'd rather listen to peskies than watch TV. At least peskies don't have stupid commercials.

3. What about the small stations? Think they can cough up the £ for a new transmitter & antenna? They may be just barely hanging on today and this would make them go dark.

Increasing radio listenership can be more fruitful in improving the programming vs tinkering around with the modes of transmission. Lipstick on a pig & all that.

BTW: Same arguments can be used here if Uncle Charlie forces IBOC here. My NC-183D isn't going to work with IBOC... guess more time listening to pirates that can deliver a usable signal to their listeners. Or more Firedrake.

DAB is already on its own frequency band (174-239 MHz). Why not leave them be and let the broadcasters & listeners figure it out? I really don't understand the big deal. Confusion? Nonsense. More confusion from grandma when her radio that used to work, and now she can't afford a new one, or DAB sucks too bad and even if she gets a new radio, can't get a reliable signal.

From the comments in that article:
Since when did that prevent the switchover to block-o-vision TV?
Really, DAB can sound better than FM, however it frequently doesn't. As far as one of the advertised benefits of coping with interference goes... utter bollocks.
Still, at least the digital switchover will leave plenty of room on the FM dial for the stations that play decent music. See icon.

He has a point! And his icon is of a pirate flag. :D

Other:
http://www.radioswitch.co.uk
Minneapolis, MN