We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: One day awhile back on the 17 meter band  (Read 1500 times)

Capt. Radio

One day awhile back on the 17 meter band
« on: November 17, 2013, 2345 UTC »

I thought I'd relate a short story about an experience I had on the then newly opened 17 meter ham band.

As usual, I was spinning the dial on my TS-130S looking for a contact within the 17 meter band when I stopped the dial on a strong ssb station. This station was attempting to make contact with another station, calling repeatingly. It didn't take too long for me to gather that the station was US military, and not a ham op. When the station called, another military station answered, but the first one couldn't copy the second one. The second station tried several times to come back to the first, but the first still couldn't hear the reply.

I was in a quandary...  I didn't know if I should act as a "go-between" by giving them my call and offer to help these two stations communicate, or just sit there and ignore the situation. I chose the second path beause I was afraid of what could possibly be negative repercussions for me, even though the communications were clearly in the middle of a ham band for which I was licensed for.

Another factor in my decision was the fact that the comm didn't seem to be a life-or-death situation.

I've always wondered what would have taken place, had I threw in my call on that freq and offered to be the "relay"?  :-\

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: One day awhile back on the 17 meter band
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 0227 UTC »
I have no idea what would've happened. I figure they wouldn't have been mad- maybe a bit concerned but they would've just let it go. Maybe even happy that you helped them out.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Capt. Radio

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 0329 UTC »

Atrain,

Another analog to my story is one I read about (if memory serves me correctly) in either QST or Monitoring times... a ham op that had come upon the scene of a serious car accident. I think this was a bit before the cell phone age where everyone has one now.

The bottom line is that the fellow had only one means of communication. He had a VHF transciever in the car that had the capability of transmitting out of band. He used it to contact the local PD directly, and relayed the emergency to them. They responded, and then the troubles began for this fellow. The PD made a whole lot of grief for the "good samaritan".

Even though there is legislation that allows this activity in a life or death situation, the fellow went through a lot of grief in the legal system before it was all over. If I recall, he was finally "absolved" but I'll bet he regretted being in that situation.

I'm sure this story can be found in a 'net search if one was inclined to look.

I've thought of this story after my experience...

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 1305 UTC »
Well thats bullcrap!! He had to report a serious acciedent and had the VHF trans. What could they get mad about??? He probably saved some lives by reporting it. If they didn't want us to contact them in emergencies- they wouldn't give us ham licenses.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline OldSeaRock

• Earth, TX
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 1635 UTC »
That's a bit of a tough one for me.  If it had been two hams then I'd offered a relay or at least given my call and let them respond/not respond.

If either of the stations had been calling SOS then I'd have given my call. 

But since these were not recognized ham call signs and there was no mention of emergency, I'd probably have sat back for a bit and then "spun the VFO".   ???
eQsl appreciated:  theoldsearock@yahoo.com
Listening on & off since 1968.  Howdy from Tejas!

Capt. Radio

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2013, 1647 UTC »

...and that's exactly what I did.  :)

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns