We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: RF Safe-Stop shuts down car engines with radio pulse  (Read 4023 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
RF Safe-Stop shuts down car engines with radio pulse
« on: December 03, 2013, 1355 UTC »
A British company has demonstrated a prototype device capable of stopping cars and other vehicles using a blast of electromagnetic waves.

The RF Safe-Stop uses radio frequency pulses to "confuse" a vehicle's electronic systems, cutting its engine.

E2V is one of several companies trying to bring such a product to market.

It said it believed the primary use would be as a non-lethal weapon for the military to defend sensitive locations from vehicles refusing to stop.

There has also been police interest.

The BBC was given a demonstration of the device at Throckmorton Airfield, in Worcestershire.

Deputy Chief Constable Andy Holt, of the Association of Chief Police Officers (Acpo), who has evaluated the tech, said the machine had "potential, but it's very early days yet".

Full article: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-25197786
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Fansome

Re: RF Safe-Stop shuts down car engines with radio pulse
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2013, 0626 UTC »
Puts me in mind of that breed of goats; when they hear a sudden loud noise, they stiffen up and fall over like they've been poleaxed.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2013, 1300 UTC »
And then the folks in China reverse engineer the thing, go into production, and sell the units on ebay, Amazon, etc ...  How would they market a thing like that?  As a personal security unit I suppose...

Works great to stop 'drive by (whatever) and give one to the kiddies so they can hang out on an interstate overpass to see how many cars they can stop... Just a 'real-life' version of the old video game; Shooting Gallery.

Also many 2-bit garages could use them to prop up their repair sales...  "My car just stopped for no reason but luckily it stopped about 100 yards from you 'great' auto repair shop..."

You could also use one to shut down that 'idiot neighbor's' computer system and even his home entertainment system because he has that thing blasting 'Lady gag gag' music well past midnight...  Works great to kill I-pods...  "Don't get mad, get even with our handy dandy device..."

Might be useful for the drug cartels too...  Picture this: The drug lord is being chased by a half dozen police cars... "Not a problem with our device... Give them a buzz and stop the Fuzz"

And for the amazing price of only $19.99...  cheap hardware because we care.

Optional personal drone given to the first 500 orders...  Call now!!!

Sorry guys...  It's early, I'm on my first cuppa and honestly... I'd buy one just to say I have one...  (It's hell being a material type person) 

later Vince ka1iic...

Today’s project...  a high power IR linear amplifier for my universal remote so I can change the channel on my neighbor's large screen TV during the 'big game'...  fun and games for all!!!
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Capt. Radio

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2013, 1329 UTC »

You have some great ideas Vince! Let me add one. Hey, how 'bout using it to kill all the digital appliance noise makers in your neighborhood that ruin your SW reception.  ;)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2013, 1549 UTC »
There was guy in Alabama in the mid-90's who made 35kW mobile amps for the trucker that had everything.

The word on the things was they would shut down the electronics of nearly any vehicle in close proximity when the mic was keyed.

Capt. Radio

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2013, 1635 UTC »
There was guy in Alabama in the mid-90's who made 35kW mobile amps for the trucker that had everything.

The word on the things was they would shut down the electronics of nearly any vehicle in close proximity when the mic was keyed.

If 35kw was truly delivered, it wouldn't surprise me at all. I'd like to see the power supply he was using to power the amp. It probably resided in the trailer, and left little room for actual load.  :D

Just a related story... I used to have a 100 watt (output) mobile 6 meter FM rig in my car with a quarter wave whip on the roof. Everytime I keyed the radio in any given parking lot, I never failed to set off numerous car alarms. There's something about 6 meters that really gets into automotive wiring circuits.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2013, 2141 UTC »
A lot of older car alarms operate around 6 meters, in the 49 kHz. range as do garage door openers and baby monitors.