We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sackville, N.B. residents to lose landmark radio transmission towers  (Read 1233 times)

Fansome

Sackville, N.B. residents to lose landmark radio transmission towers

CTV Atlantic
Published Thursday, February 27, 2014 7:05PM AST

The skyline at the border between Nova Scotia and New Brunswick is losing some of its height.

The international radio transmission towers that have been a fixture on the Tantramar Marsh for decades are being demolished – a lost landmark to people who live in the area.

“When they’re gone, there will be a blank spot on our marsh,” says Sackville Mayor Robert Berry.

“I know when I come from either direction, especially from the Nova Scotia side and over the hill, and I see them I’m saying ‘I’m home.’”

Radio Canada International erected the towers in Sackville during the Second World War due to the location, which is far enough from the earth’s magnetic pole and a former salt marsh, which means nothing interferes with the signal.

Service ended in October 12 and offers to buy the towers were sent out, but none were received.

“The little transmitter huts are gone. The antennas that stretch from tower top to tower top have all been removed,” says Sackville resident Allan Smith. “Now, they’ll systematically take down the towers.”

Some of the towers have been at the site since the late 1930s but recent budget cuts and a shift toward the internet have made the towers and shortwave transmission technology unsustainable.

“It’s an old, old technology in radio, and it’s not really used very much anymore,” says Smith. “But still, in places like the Canadian north and Africa, there are still people that use shortwave systems.”

The teardown is expected to take a few months.

With files from CTV Atlantic's Sarah Plowman

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Sign 'o the times I guess.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
So, they ceased HF operations for budgetary reasons, but instead of letting it 'twist in the wind,' wasted no time in tearing it down, despite having no offers on the property.

Something doesn't smell right here.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
So, they ceased HF operations for budgetary reasons, but instead of letting it 'twist in the wind,' wasted no time in tearing it down, despite having no offers on the property.

Something doesn't smell right here.

+-RH

I've seen that same behavior reported in other countries as well.??? They claim they have no money, yet plenty of money to get tear it all down.

You're right... it doesn't smell right nor does it add it.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
They said they offered the site for sale to some other operators but got no offers. At that point, the most recoverable value is probably tearing down the facility and selling the towers for scrap. I'm not sure it costs a lot to drop towers in a rural location like that. And, I doubt the marsh can be developed in any way.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts