We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: a question about the 'pip' stations....  (Read 1197 times)

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
a question about the 'pip' stations....
« on: March 09, 2014, 1555 UTC »
I was wondering if anyone has figured out any kind of operating sked for the 'pip' stations, meaning when they are most likely to be transmitting...  or do they operate in a random fashion etc...

Just and idea.... I am finding these interesting for some weird reason...

tnx folks

73 Vince KA1IIC

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
Re: a question about the 'pip' stations....
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 1710 UTC »
If I'm not mistaken the pip was a now defunct noise station (sorta like a numbers station)
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 0221 UTC »
No, the pip is on daily with a daytime & nighttime frequency. 5448 is the day frequency & 3756 is a night frequency. Supposedly they use different transmitters & power levels 3756 - 1kW and 5448 - 15kW. the pip is also called network number 800 (according to people who claim to be involved with the station).
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 1649 UTC »
Thanks for the info folks :-)

I am very interested in this one...  can't figure what it's all about and it might end up being one of those things not known until way after the fact...

I've got my eye on it... 'it's a quest... a quest for fun...' (Christmas Vacation :-)

73 Vince
KA1IIC
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns