We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Voice of Russia returning to shortwave ??  (Read 13241 times)

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
Voice of Russia returning to shortwave ??
« on: May 28, 2014, 1003 UTC »
They seem to be changing their mind about abandoning SW & LW

http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/05/26/radio/
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Voice of Russia returning to shortwave ??
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2014, 1127 UTC »
Interesting.

We'll see if they really do come back. There's that one part of being a broadcast center for OTHR... I hope they don't bring back the Woodpecker.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2014, 0000 UTC »
Radio Romania has been about the only broadcaster with a English service that has been doing in depth coverage of events in Ukraine on a daily basis. They've been slamming the Russians every evening on 40 meters on two frequencies since the coup in Kiev.

My guess is Vlad has had enough. I bet the Romanians made fun of his comb-over. Using Randy Newman's "Short People" for music beds probably didn't help either.

Nella F.

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2014, 0144 UTC »
Radio Romania has been about the only broadcaster with a English service that has been doing in depth coverage of events in Ukraine on a daily basis. They've been slamming the Russians every evening on 40 meters on two frequencies since the coup in Kiev.
My guess is Vlad has had enough. I bet the Romanians made fun of his comb-over. Using Randy Newman's "Short People" for music beds probably didn't help either.

Damn, I missed that. And not only does their signal reach my area I actually listen to them sometimes. Would have laughed my ass off.

Frankly I don't see  8) why Vlad doesn't don  8) , too!

Nella F.

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2014, 0156 UTC »
They seem to be changing their mind about abandoning SW & LW
http://lenta.ru/articles/2014/05/26/radio/

Wait a minute (while I put on  8)  Nope-didn't help). You can read that article?

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2014, 1158 UTC »
I just copied the entire article and entered it into google translate and read the english translation.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline BDM

• S/E Michigan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2014, 1730 UTC »
Translated::::::::::::

The Security Council of Russia on the meeting on 19 May decided to establish a special federal state budgetary institutions ( FSBA ) for the implementation of long-range Russian public broadcasting stations " Radio Russia " and " Voice of Russia" both domestically and abroad . On this " Lente.ru " according to two industry sources familiar with the decision of the Security Council.

Objective of the new company will be the restoration and long-range radio support on long , medium and short waves , which in 2013-2014 was almost completely collapsed state company "Russian Television and Radio Broadcasting Network" ( RTRS ) due to the termination of budget financing . FGBI broadcasting , by the decision of the Security Council will be established in 2016 and is run by one of the security forces , presumably the Ministry of Defence .
Why not hear " Voice of Russia"

During the previous two years distant broadcasting public radio stations in the country was almost completely stopped.

First , in March of 2013, ceased to be broadcast on long ( LW) and secondary (SV ) waves transmit radio "Mayak" . As a result, hear them in Russia was only possible in some cities where the broadcaster - the company RTR - transmitters have a range of FM.

Then , in early 2014 , partially disabled and broadcast "Radio Russia" on long and medium waves , which led to the same result as a "beacon" .

Thus , today the Russian state radio transmission will not be accepted in our country anywhere except a few major cities , mostly regional or national centers.

Gone with all ranges of radio waves , providing long-distance transmissions (this , in addition to LW and MW , more short-wave - HF ) , and "Voice of Russia ", working for foreign countries . Its transmission RTRS radio centers in Russia were also stopped , continuing with only a few transmitters leased abroad.

In all these cases, the cause was broadcast far off reduction in state funding , the company provides RTR for this purpose .
How not to die far Broadcasting

In addition, the public radio stations that was not heard in most parts of Russia , the almost complete cessation of government funding jeopardized the very existence of long-range radio in our country.

This kind of broadcasting carried RTRS state company with its powerful broadcasting centers , where there were about 40 at the end of 2013.

They basically were just loaded broadcast transmission over long distances , " Lighthouse ", " Radio Russia " and " Voice of Russia" . During this RTRS received money from the company RTR and "Voice of Russia ". It is clear that when the money stopped coming , the content of radio centers for RTRS became unprofitable.

Reduction in government funding far broadcasting has led to the fact that RTRS forgone in 2013-2014 approximately 800 million rubles of income . A company's annual loss from this activity reached about 2.5 billion rubles.

In this situation, the prospect of closing RTRS got most radio centers because of their support in working condition in the absence of paid broadcasting expensive. At the same time , because of the technical features of the powerful radio transmitters , after being off for two or three winters , equipment radio centers could come into complete disrepair , and if necessary, they would have to build almost from scratch.

Therefore, recently continued search for a way out of the situation , the more that radio centers need not only RTR and not only to "Lighthouse" was heard on the Siberian expanses .
Why CIS military radio

The fact that a powerful radio, in addition to solving the civilian tasks for the dissemination of radio programs in the country, and the need for specific tasks power structures.

The center can be a powerful broadcasting horizon radar for early warning about the threat of aerospace attack . In addition, they are suitable for electronic warfare (EW ) and intelligence .

On the basis of such radio centers is also possible to arrange for large areas notification of emergencies or danger in wartime. They are suitable for sustainable and long-distance communications for government agencies , if at the same time of war will be disrupted communication via satellite , which is very likely .

Military has always expressed an interest in maintaining a strong radio in the country. However, these structures were not controlled by them , being a member of the RTRS . Consequently, the military and money on them from the budget is allocated .
What will the new structure

According to sources, " Heathcliff " , the Security Council decided that the centers of powerful broadcasting solving the problem of propagation programs public radio stations in 2016 will be transferred from the RTRS in the new federal budget enterprise.

The company will be under the jurisdiction of one of the Russian power structures , presumably , the Ministry of Defence , and also to solve specific problems in the field of defense and security . Venture will be financed from the federal budget .

Prior to this RTRS receive state funding in the amount of three billion rubles for 2015-2016 years. It will be used to before the new FGBI restore distant broadcast "Radio Russia" to the entire country and the " Voice of Russia" with Russian foreign transmitters .
What do they say in the industry

In RTRS welcome recovery far broadcasting.

" With the reduction in broadcast transmission " Mayak "," Radio Russia "and" Voice of Russia " , any decision aimed at maintaining the powerful broadcasting is urgent " - said " Lente.ru " spokesman Igor Stepanov RTRS , refraining from further comments decisions of the Security Council .

Chairman of the Consortium " Digital broadcasting technology platform " Andrew Bryksenkov told " Lentoy.ru " pointed out that worldwide network of powerful broadcasting are under state control .

"The decision to allow the Security Council to begin upgrading the infrastructure of a powerful radio , otherwise we will lose a significant part of it, and even its full potential . Isolation of powerful broadcasting separate enterprise will create preconditions for optimization of radio and broadcasting , public address systems and information security "- said Bryksenkov .

At the same time, the expert does not believe that the new structure will definitely be successful. " Powerful broadcasting has many specific features that will face security forces who do not have experience with similar equipment ," - he said.
Radios -- Perseus SDR // SDRPlay RSPdx // Icom IC-7300 // Tecsun PL-660 // Panasonic RF-5000A --Antennas-- Pixel Pro 1B loop - 82' fan-dipole at 40' - tuned MW/BCB 40" loop and 100' receive only dipole
-Brian--North of Detroit--MI-
1710/KHz the MW Pirate Clear Channel (not so much anymore "sigh")

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2014, 1953 UTC »
I fully expect that they will seriously start jamming stations that oppose 'Vlad and the Butt Cheeks'...  Long live 'Pussy Riot'

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline IraqVet

• Central, IA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 0245 UTC »
In Iraq, my buddy and I could pick up a very clear signal of Voice of Korea's nightly two hour "Engrish" broadcast.  I'm serious, that was some of the funniest stuff I've ever endured.  We'd also get an hour or two out of Tehran.  It was scarier, alot of America and Euro-hate. 
Icom R75,  160m circular wire loop thing.  Also, backup rainspout "antenna".
QSL: medicdave29@yahoo.com

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 1332 UTC »
You mean "Voice of Koreer". I always listen to them on 11710 at 13:00z on Saturday & Sunday mornings to start the day with a laugh
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 2111 UTC »
Here, the Engrish service of V of Koreer usually comes in pretty decent at 0400-0500Z on 15180 & 13760, and at 1300-1400Z on 13760 (not on 15180 at this time).

Depending on my mood, I'll check 15180 during the 0300Z Spanish broadcast to check conditions. If propagation is good, then will set the computer to record the Engrish service at 0400Z.

During my drive into work in the morning, I'll listen to the DPRK on 13650 from 1230-1300Z. Its in Korean, so I understand absolutely nothing, so I fill in the words myself. :D  Normally listen to WRMI 9955 and their relay of R Prague from 1200-1230Z, and on Thursdays from 1230Z, Glenn Hauser's World of Radio. Wish R Prague was a full hour with more music and WRMI would send more signal up this way (they're directional to the SSE).

Recently introduced a couple of my co-workers to the world of SW radio, using the Univ of Twente's SDR. It just so happened that VoK was on, so we listened. That was after them talking about spy numbers stations (we then listened to E07a that day). Their reaction:  ???    Ha.

Have previously heard Iran on 31m. Haven't listened to them in A14 yet. According to short-wave.info, they send their signal towards Eu/NAm 0320-0419Z on 13650 & 11780, although the latter frequency also has RN da Brasilia, which will bury Iran.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2014, 2323 UTC »
I've noticed a lot of people don't like Putin.  I think this is because I do like Putin otherwise I wouldn't care.  A couple months ago I heard a radio show (on FM) called Democracy Now.  They were interviewing a Ukrainian guy and a professor who is knowledgeable in Russia.  At the end the professor noted this:

STEPHEN COHEN: I think that the vilification of Putin in this country, demonization, is the worst press coverage by the American media of Russia that I’ve seen in my 40 years of studying Russia and contributing to the media. It’s simply almost insane. This idea that he’s a thug—

AMY GOODMAN: Ten seconds.

STEPHEN COHEN: —and that explains everything, passes for analysis in America today—

Here is the transcript of the show (CLICK ON "FULL TRANSCRIPT" to read the bit I copied):
http://www.democracynow.org/2014/1/30/debate_is_ukraines_opposition_a_democratic
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Nella F.

« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2014, 0052 UTC »
Absolutely no disrespect intended Antennae but you like Putin because...? Look: I'm retired, like to read & have a deep love & respect for the life & work of George Orwell. Therefore I also have Some knowledge of Russia/USSR/Russia. Have you actually read any bio.'s on Mister Putin? I invite you to try The Strong Man by Angus Roxburg; Mr. Putin: Operative in the Kremlin by Fiona Hill; & (my personal favorite) The Man W/O A Face
by Masha Gessen, which is also on 'books on cd'. Oh and a special happy 54th. birthday Putin ala Anna Politkovskaya  RIP (who's entire body of work that's been translated into English moi's also read, though I don't recommend as a starting point). As to Mr. Cohen, I've read one of his works, The Victims Return. Why he "defends" Putin is something I'd like to hear Debated by him and A N Y of the above authors. He does have, along with his wife Katrina Vanden Heuvel,many friends in Russia . Read between the lines there, bud.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 0102 UTC by Nella F. »

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2014, 0311 UTC »
I hope you don't take offense at my jabs, I have some zingers.
I haven't read any thing about him.  With Cohen, think about his friends in Russia. He has met good people there. And he can look at things from the Russian's side.  Maybe Russia ain't so bad? 

I like Putin because:
I think Putin does a good job running his country (that has gone through a shift from communism to capitalism, difficult stuff). 
I think he's more manly than our wimp.  Good 'ol stereotypical leader.
And I agree with him that Russia is the moral compass of the world.   8)  They have morals.

I think Americans of a certain age *cough* retired...  ;) especially don't like Russia because the USSR was our enemy since we were born. And since they're easy to hate on, the media gets more followers if they spin the stories towards Russia-an-enemy.  And Putin is easy to hate because he was in the KGB ("KGB" just sounds like the enemy) and he has changed the constitution so a leader can be elected as many times as they're voted in (which isn't American).

What he did with Crimea is not much compared to what America has done with Iraq and Afganistan.  It was pretty efficient, no?  I think its fair to let them get their strategic navy base back even though its through fishy business.  America does fishy business with Iraq and Afganistan.  Speaking of strategic things, America wants a missile shield in Poland. It would be like Russia making a missile shield in Canada.
Russia didn't have data collection on their citizens like Amerika. I would expect that NSA B.S. from the Russians first. 

I see them as a run of the mill country looking out for themselves and they don't do things the way Americans want them to. I think the Russian people do well with a single leader with a long office term. They are geared for that. In general, they are cool with it and if the leader isn't so bad, whats the problem?
And to relate this political stuff to radio, let me remind you the Russians brought down American spy drones without missiles. Their anti-spy drone system appears to use radio.  8) 8) 
http://rt.com/news/russia-radar-jammer-drones-864/
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Fansome

« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2014, 0328 UTC »
It's just that Putin seems to remind me of someone who was once very active in Pirate Radio. I just can't seem to remember the name...