We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: has anyone ever thought about...  (Read 8224 times)

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
has anyone ever thought about...
« on: June 10, 2014, 1031 UTC »
... Now and then buying an hour or so of airtime on one of the commercial time-seller stations (WRMI, WBCQ, you know) and airing a pirate show legally?  I imagine, given a lot of the music quite a few of the North American and European pirates play, that it'd go over well, and if it takes the place of Brother Scary and his mouthful of sandpapered hate, all the better!  ... Why yes, I'm irritated about the prevalence of doomsday idiocy on the time-seller stations again (again? that's better phrased as yet), why do you ask? 

In all seriousness, has anyone ever thought about doing something like this?  Even if someone were to act as a sort of relay and air a program for a pirate, with the other pirate's consent first of course, it could work. 

...  This is admittedly somewhere between outright call to action and meandering musing.  Call it a little of both.  I am serious about this idea, though.  $25 now and then for an hour of legally-aired pirate-originated programming (if I'm remembering BCQ's rates correctly) doesn't seem so unreasonable, and it'd beat the pants off bigotry any day of the week.  Thoughts, folks? 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Fansome

Re: has anyone ever thought about...
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 1122 UTC »
Captain Ganja, of Radio Free Euphoria, did this for a number of years. He gave up pirating (at least so it is said) and had a weekly show on WBCQ. I think he was funded by donations. I believe kracker did this for a while as well. I'm sure there have been others.

Of course, Alan Wiener, the founder of WBCQ, was a pirate himself, and has a show on WBCQ in addition to running the station. cosmikdebris, who had (maybe still has?) a show on WBCQ for years (the "Poorly-prepared White Sauce Hour", or something like that), is at least closely associated with pirates, and may or may not be one himself; he is still part of the WBCQ effort behind the scenes.

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 2206 UTC »
$25 for an hour? Not bad, not bad at all!  Thats cheaper than a transmitter. 
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2014, 1333 UTC »
I thought it was a bit more than $25 an hour, more like $60. The WBCQ website just says "reasonable rates".

http://www.wbcq.com/?p=55

WWRB also leases time in large blocks. You lease the transmitter 24/7

http://www.wwrb.org/ptime.php

WRMI also leases time & they claim to be $1/minute but you probably have to lease a large block of time for that rate

http://www.wrmi.net/pb/wp_435c14af/wp_435c14af.html

To answer Chanters original question I have thought about doing this quite often but I don't really have anything to say that I feel is worth $60/hour  or even $25/hour....sad but true.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2014, 1518 UTC »
My first question would be "what is the potential size of the audience". I suspect the number is very very low. Sure, you could heavily promote it via the internet, but if you can reach people that way... why buy the airtime in the first place?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline glimmer twin

• DX Legend
  • "I found my way to heaven , I did my time in hell"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2014, 1754 UTC »
Good point Chris. Maybe if you are doing something interesting & unusual like that digital special broadcast that was on multiple transmitters worldwide a couple of months ago it would be worth it but I suspect that even the listenership for the "million watt" program wasn't all that high....still a cool program though.
KCMO  Icom R 75 , SDR-IQ, Grundig Satellit 750 ,Tecsun PL 880, Tecsun PL660 , Tecsun PL380 & PL360  10 meter random wire  w/ RF systems MLB    Alpha Delta SWL DX sloper  
qsl   keithglimmer810@gmail.com

gentlemen,you can not fight in here, this is the war room

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2014, 0003 UTC »
Whoops.  Thanks for the rate per hour corrections.  I freely admit I didn't have a clue there. 

As for low listenership and the why bother factor... what it comes down to for me is what would you rather have out there?  If a handful of listeners get the option of listening to music, or current events, or heck, rebroadcast OTR shows for an hour rather than hate speech and doom, I count it a win.  I have a gigantic bias here, I know I do.  I'm not sorry. 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2014, 1616 UTC »
What would I rather have out there... That's a good question.

I suppose the stations that most fascinated me were the domestic broadcasters on Shortwave.

Stations like VLW6 from Western Australia (the Shortwave relay of 6WN), the ones still on the air in Brazil, and the Canadian SW outlets like CKZU and CKZN (and the one in Toronto whose call letters I don't remember). Gabon's Africa Number One would be another one of these.

And you could add the two or three stations left in South East Asia, in Malaysia, that run pop and rock and are still on the air.  There used to be more: Singapore had a cool station on the 31 meter band that was audible on the west coast during the mornings. RTM Kuching used to be on the air on the 49 meter band, playing pop and rock music, with commercials. Very cool.

They are and were basically Shortwave relays of real, local, domestic broadcast radio stations.

The US equivalent would have been WRNO.

Of course, with online radio streaming, you can hear many radio domestic, local stations of the world without a SW receiver.  But before online radio, you had to be a DXer with a good antenna to hear such stations on MW, or an SWL with a decent radio or antenna to be able to listen to any of the stations mentioned -- most of which were audible on either coast of the U.S.

So that's what I would want to hear. But -- of course -- it ain't gonna happen.

(Edited for lousy grammar, 6-16-2014)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 1624 UTC by BoomboxDX »
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2014, 1732 UTC »
I always thought it would be a fun thing to do, but the cost was a bit prohibitive.  Then I think most stations wanted a certain number of programs, like one new program a week.  You'd have to be dedicated to do that, but in my busy life I couldn't guarantee a new show all the time.

Then, you also have to worry about paying royalties for any music you play.  Online stations on Live365 and Pandora, for example, have to pay a little for each song they stream.  If the recording industry wanted to be a bunch of dicks, they'd come after you demanding royalties.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2014, 1801 UTC »
I thought about going the WBCQ route back in the middle of the last decade. I talked to Alan Weiner about it couple of times. The going rate then was 50 bucks an hour, but Alan said he was flexible on rates for ex or current pirates.

The catch for me was having to buy an hour every week for several months. You're looking at 200-250 bucks a month plus having to crank out a new 60 minute show every week. Too much extra work, IMO.

If you could find another pirate or three to alternate the time with, and share costs, that could possibly work.

Fansome

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 0717 UTC »
Has Weiner ever put any limits on content? I suppose that the FCC limitations apply, although, if the audience is supposed to be outside of the US, perhaps that's not an issue. And I suppose Jay stretched those limits (eww... that conjures up some ugly images), but, from what I heard, the worst he suffered was to just be cut off (yikes, that's even worse!)

Ok, sorry. Anyway, what I was trying to get at is whether using a licensed BC station would put limits on content that pirating would, obviously, not worry about.

I thought about going the WBCQ route back in the middle of the last decade. I talked to Alan Weiner about it couple of times. The going rate then was 50 bucks an hour, but Alan said he was flexible on rates for ex or current pirates.

The catch for me was having to buy an hour every week for several months. You're looking at 200-250 bucks a month plus having to crank out a new 60 minute show every week. Too much extra work, IMO.

If you could find another pirate or three to alternate the time with, and share costs, that could possibly work.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 0841 UTC »
Glad I'm not the only night owl on here!

Hmmm, I can hear it now, "Pirate Fridays"  6PM EST to 9 PM EST.  Coughing up 600-ish bucks a month to keep a weekly pirate-ish show on the air.  Makes me wonder what I spend on gas to keep the genset going.  I bet it's a lot less that 60 bucks an hour.

Interesting idea, I've also toyed with the idea of buying satellite time from a teleport.  Have someone else do the hard work of setting up the TX and antenna, and being eaten alive by bugs, I'll stay at home and play radio, and make sure the neighbors FTA doesn't work :)

Chanter, your not the only one who doesn't like the "howling" of religious radio.  I spent enough time as a kid hating myself because of the church.  I soon after learned the "one size fits all" box of religion doesn't fit all.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 1646 UTC »
RH, I know exactly what you mean re: not liking myself much at all because of church doctrine.  I'm not straight.  That should say it all.  The ridiculous pseudo-doctrine spewed all over the SW airwaves is that much worse, IMO.  If I start talking about whatshisname Peters, Gene and Melissa Scott or scary Brother Stair and his missing teeth, I'll be here an hour and make everybody's computers spout red hot steam.  Ahem. 

Hmmmm.  Alternating between several pirates sounds an intriguing idea.  There's also the idea of relaying pirate shows already being produced for broadcast on a different freq.  I'm thinking specifically of Europirates getting airtime to the States this way.  The royalties issue is a fair point, though. 

Heck, why not broadcasts of oldtime radio shows already freely accessible to the public.  I know loads of SWLers who love those, and I say that as one of the crowd who does!  If the cost were shared between a network of people, and I include myself in that crowd... 
Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
QSL's appreciated 

RNW forever.

Offline Tom S

• SE Kansas
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 1757 UTC »
Well, as one who's not religious the last thing I want to listen to is hours and hours of bible talk.  It's just not something I'm interested in, although I did keep the recording from WYFR on May 21, 2011 when they said that the rapture was definitely going to happen then.

But yes, shelling out $50 or $60 every week to put a show on a licensed broadcaster was a bit outside my budget since my radio budget is usually nonexistent.  But I think it would have been a fun project to do for a while.
Happiness is a good antenna system.

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 2125 UTC »
The wisdom I gleaned from this thread is that royalties, cost of airtime, and a lack of content/personal time (on the part of the radio DJ)  seem to be the major factors to preventing people from using legit airtime. 

We know the religious shows have excess money (they can afford to air shows that nobody listens to). I assume the shows come from a church that has a budget for "missionary work" or "spreading the gospel". 

I assume the churches need listeners so I think the church would pay a person to make interesting/funny things to bring listeners to the main show. I'm thinking of 2min "commercials" of funny stuff not related to religion at all. 
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns