We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: FRS today on 9302 kHz, 18:00-22:00 UTC  (Read 1728 times)

oly1959

FRS today on 9302 kHz, 18:00-22:00 UTC
« on: June 15, 2014, 1405 UTC »
Last minute news: this evening FRS-Holland will be repeating part of last Sundays broadcast.
From 18:00-22:00 UTC/ 20:00-00.00 CEST FRSH will only be broadcasting on 9302 kHz (as a kind of test).
The difference with last Sunday is that power on 31 metres will be upped. That makes us curious how
FRS'  signal is coming through in your area. Therefore we are looking out for reception reports.

Last Sunday we were not very lucky with propagation conditions. Although good reception was reported from different parts of Europe,
also much poorer reception was the case at other locations. Variable... Especially 7700 kHz was poorer than we hoped for although the signal
improved during the last 2 hours. Positive was 9302 kHz which replaced 5800 kHz. Knowing we used only relatively low power on 9302, it
performed quite well in wide areas of Central Europe.

Thanks for all of you sending in reports...much appreciated!!

Enjoy todays broadcast...
73s, the FRS team

FRS-Holland
POBox 2702
6049 ZG Herten
The Netherlands

e-mail: < frs@frsholland.nl>

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: FRS today on 9302 kHz, 18:00-22:00 UTC
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 2217 UTC »
Started fading in above the local noise here at 2150 UTC on 9301 KHZ with some kind of program that I couldn't discern, into UNID song by lady singer. 2203 UTC Man announcer with mention of FRS, into UNID pop tune by man singer
2208 UTC Man announcer with mention of 30 year FRS Anniversary Booklet and address same as in oly1959's posting
2210 UTC Song, then at 2213 UTC Man announcer with mention of address
2218 UTC Mention of FRS and "Music Express", station jingle, short bit of "Good Vibrations" by the Beach Boys, then man announcer with..."Your ? on shortwave...FRS, into UNID pop tune.
{It would seem that the 9302 KHZ and the closing at 2200 are both incorrect! That is good because now I can hear it across the big pond.}
2224 UTC Man announcer followed by yet another UNID pop tune!
{I had to run to the store, so I left the recorder going}
2245 UTC Man announcer, into UNID funky R&B pop tune by lady singer
{I checked the frequency again and it is about 9301.1 KHZ with great AM audio}
2254 UTC Stevie Winwood tune
2300 UTC ID..."Free Radio Services", into UNID tune at 2302 UTC
2308 UTC Man announcer with mention of 7700 KHZ?, address in the Netherlands for reports which will be verified, then mention of the FRS 30th anniversary booklet.
2311 UTC Song... "Never Been In Love Like This Before"
2314 UTC Man announcer with mentions of listeners, email and postal address, into a familiar song from the early 1970's that I can't quite place at the moment
2320 UTC A song with a lot of Na,na,na's in it
2323 UTC Soundbytes from June 26, 1983 going to be played
2334 UTC "Groovin"-Felix Cavaliere & the Young Rascals
2337 UTC Man anouncer with mention of 7700 kHZ,
2338 UTC "RESPECT"-Aretha Franklin
2340 UTC Man announcer with shoutouts to listeners who sent in reports, mostly from January broadcast. Gave email and postal address
2344 UTC UNID song
2355 UTC "Maybe I'm Amazed"-Paul McCartney
2358 UTC Man announcer ...."Hope You've enjoyed the program..." followed by "Heart Full of Soul"-Yardbirds
0000 UTC Man announcer with closing announcements with instrumental music
0005 UTC Closing "FRS-Holland" ID's and off at 0006 UTC
(Thanks for the program here on the other side of the pond! My first time hearing you!)
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 0007 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

rdla4

« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 2228 UTC »
I may be seeing the carrier here in GA. No audio however, 2228UTC

Maybe some talk at around 2229?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2014, 2230 UTC by rdla4 »

Offline clobdell

• Global Moderator
  • DXing Phenomena
  • Massachusetts
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 2247 UTC »
FRS pretty good 2224 tune in with pops, frequent IDs "FRS-Holland, not just a station, it's a tradition".  Greetings to listeners by OM announcer  S-8 or so.
Into a Jody Watley tune 2246
Off at 0005* Very nice signal, must be running some power!
« Last Edit: June 16, 2014, 0006 UTC by Chris Lobdell »
Receiver: Eton E1, JRC NRD-525, 535 and 545, Icom IC-7300
Aerial: MFJ G5RV dipole
near Lowell Massachusetts - Gateway To The Merrimack Valley.
All loggings are from my QTH with my equipment unless stated otherwise.
QSL to: crlobdell1@gmail.com or
Box 80146, Stoneham, MA 02180
Amateur Radio Station: KC1IUK

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 0047 UTC »
(Along with a very nice full data eQSL, the following was received! I thought I would share this one...the first names of the ops have been omitted from the end of the letter just in case...don't want to compromise such a fine operation from across the pond!!!)
Dear Chris,

Thanks a lot for your mail and report regarding Sunday June 15th 2014 when we did a repeat of the evening broadcast one week earlier. During that evening broadcast conditions were unstable and far from good making us decide to do it all over again one week later.
The 15th June BC started later in the evening, at 20:00 hours CEST and ended just after 02:00 CEST. For both transmissions we received a good number of reports from all corners of Europe and beyond (USA). Many listeners reported fair/good reception in their area. On the 15th June FRS-Holland was ‘only’ active on one channel being 9301 kHz/31 metres whereas the week before FRS was on 7700 kHz (our main channel) as well (in parallel with 9301 kHz). Because the 15th June BC ended in the nightly hours, listeners in North America were able to tune in to FRS, sometimes with good results. All in all we are pleased by the postive response and encouraging comments!
I have enclosed our standard QSL as a separate pdf file. A high quality printed hard copy of our QSL has a different (better looking) back side and is of course much more desirable compared with the e-QSL. Anyway, it’s of course up to each listener what he prefers…

In the mean time FRS has lauched a new series of QSL cards entitled ‘FRS Through the Years’. This series consists of a number of different QSLs showing objects which played a vital role in our 30+ year history. Although we realize that an e-mail report is a quick and easy way in reporting, we feel  that a ‘letter’ report to our mailbox (POB 2702) is a more ‘charming’ and personal way.

Reception from your side seemed to be fine looking at your mail. Also good to know that you were so positive about the audio, I’m sure that our tx engineer will be delighted! In most areas of Europe listeners reported fair/good reception.
Certainly it was a thrill to do a full evening broadcast. As you perhaps won’t know FRS normally operates on Sunday mornings/ afternoons. We started life back in August 1980 making us almost 34 years. Yes…we have a long (and interesting!) history lying behind us. And I sincerely hope we will be able to continue for some time…
Thanks Chris for your nice comments, it’s always a pleasure to hear from you on the other side of the Atlantic.. It was your first FRS reception I can read. Our current team consists of a number of enthusiast and experienced SW FR presenters…most of them were already active on SW in the 1980s either with their own station or on another SW FR station.  
If you are interested in our history…you can obtain a hard-copy of our specially produced ‘30 Years of FRS-Holland’ booklet (24 pages, in colour!). Send 5 euro/ 7 US dollars to FRSH, POBox 2702, 6049 BE Herten, the Netherlands. A very interesting read is guaranteed!!
I have added your mail address to our mail listing….in future you will be automatically receive an informative mail prior to a FRS broadcast.
I surfed to the http://www.hfunderground.com/ site, great you added  your report and thus made a bit of promotion for us. I will compile an item about the hfunderground.com site for a future edition of FRS goes DX, our DX show. I’m sure may Euro listeners will like to hear the info about hfunderground.

The next FRS broadcast will take place either late August (another evening broadcast) or in the 2nd half of October. The latter will be our traditional start of a new season. Remember: FRS always transmits on a Sunday.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 0049 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns