We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Is 87.7 MHz a good FM pirate frequency?  (Read 3866 times)

Offline jordan

• View Profile
Is 87.7 MHz a good FM pirate frequency?
« on: September 24, 2014, 2344 UTC »
Would that be a good choice for a pirate bluegrass music station?  No one uses that frequency, so there shouldn't be any complaints, right?

Offline Kage

• US
  • Modulating Madness
    • View Profile
    • The Free Radio Forum
    • Email
Re: Is 87.7 MHz a good FM pirate frequency?
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2014, 2126 UTC »
Don't think anything is wrong with the frequency outside of the fact that some FM receivers may not cover it. Just like with the Xband on MW with 1710kHz not able to be listened into with older radios, or even new radios that stop at 1700kHz, I believe 87.7 is below that of which some receivers can tune.
There are a few old TV stations that decided to run radio broadcasts on 87.75MHz because after the digital switch they had the extra channel space to basically rent it out to broadcasters on their aural carrier, but of course some modern receivers can not lock onto it because of it being offset.

You would be far in the clear using that frequency because there is almost no other stations using it. OTOH you need to be careful because it is a well known pirate frequency and since no interference exists your signal will really get out. That can be both good and bad. Good because of the range, especially on the low end of the dial, bad because most people will automatically assume you are a pirate using a frequency that so few licensed broadcasters have actually been able to use, plus the fact that you are on a part of the dial that not all tuners can tune to.
I'm not saying aliens are in the radio, but aliens definitely are in the radio.
The Free Radio Forum

Offline atrainradio

• Ask your doctor if shortwave is right for you
  • Magic Mushroom Salad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2014, 2128 UTC »
Well speaking from experience, I'd say yes. However, if your area has a channel 6 analog T.V station (as kage said), then look elsewhere. But if not, then you're in good shape. Just make sure you're not throwing out harmonics onto the air band etc... So make sure your transmitter is running okay.
QTH, New Jersey, America's landfill
Tecsun PL-990 W/ Extendable Whip Antenna

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2014, 0357 UTC »
I'd worry about coverage, same as the guys above.. A lot of car radios, new and old, don't tune that far down the band. The majority of people listen to FM/AM radio while driving.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2014, 2025 UTC »
Licesed FM stations are bound to complain, just because you're out there, interference or not.  The interference they're really most concerned with, is interference to their ability to make money.  This is why licensed stations routinely file objections to the proposed licensing of ANY new stations in their areas with the FCC.

It would be a good frequency to get heard on, but, anyone who keeps track of such things will instantly know that you're a pirate station, and it could be reported that much quicker.  If it were me, I would look for a clear frequency somewhere above the educational portion of the band (92.0 MHz + ?), and "hide" amongst the licensed stations.  (There may be more clear frequencies from 88 to 92 MHz, but you're more likely to stick out there also as "something that doesn't belong"... but then again, a station playing bluegrass music might be temporarily mistaken for an NPR show...).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 2027 UTC by John Poet »

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline audiokaos

• Durham Region, Ontario, Canada
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 1707 UTC »
On top of what has been said about the TV sound aspect & it being out of band, it would be dead clear that it is a pirate signal. I personally wouldn't use it apart from tossing a signal from my living room to the bedroom..
Using Kenwood TS930SAT, Dipole cut for 15M
please qsl audiokaos at gee mail dot com.